Stranger has sent me money and now wants them back

damjann
Contributor
Contributor

So i recently received money from a stranger and he started a conversation saying Hello pls give me money back. This is known as a popular scam where people steal credit cards and send money to people and ask them to give money back, then when person who got robbed for a credit card return the money to their card and then I get charged for money he sent me. I'm here to ask what should i do to avoid getting scammed?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@damjann 

Sorry more likely to be a simple email address error and the funds were sent to you.

No one sees any information on your paypal account when you issue a refund, thats the whole point of paypal, your bank and card information are always confidential from your sellers or buyers.

You need to issue a refund by clicking on the details of the transaction and using the refund option bottom of that details page.

HOWEVER check first on that page to see if you were charged a fee (dependent on the option used to send the money).

If you were then issue a part refund minus the fee so you will not be out of pocket.

ALSO check if the funds are pending or on hold in your account then WAIT for them to complete into your available balance before you issue that refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@damjann 

Sorry more likely to be a simple email address error and the funds were sent to you.

No one sees any information on your paypal account when you issue a refund, thats the whole point of paypal, your bank and card information are always confidential from your sellers or buyers.

You need to issue a refund by clicking on the details of the transaction and using the refund option bottom of that details page.

HOWEVER check first on that page to see if you were charged a fee (dependent on the option used to send the money).

If you were then issue a part refund minus the fee so you will not be out of pocket.

ALSO check if the funds are pending or on hold in your account then WAIT for them to complete into your available balance before you issue that refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

damjann
Contributor
Contributor
So you think i should just refund him the money?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@damjann 

Well its not your money is it? All I can do is advise, up to you what you actually do.

If I sent someone money by mistake then I would want it back and I would certainly refund if it was me that received it.

BUT if you choose to do so then wait till it clears AND make sure you are not landed with the fee.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

damjann
Contributor
Contributor
how do i know if i payed a fee?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@damjann 

Did you read my first post?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

damjann
Contributor
Contributor
It was sent via goods and services so i payed a fee. Do i just refund him the money? Will i get scammed?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.