** Spoof / Phishing Emails - Tips on how to identify & stay protected **

PayPal_Siobhán

Due to the increase in Phishing /Spoof Emails being reported to PayPal I thought I would post a few tips on this topic that might help.

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always address you by your first and last name.
  • The email requests financial and other personal information. A real email from us will never ask for your bank account number, debit or credit card number etc. Also we'll never ask for your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions in an email.
  • The email asks you to provide the tracking number of a dispatched item, before you've received the payment into your PayPal account
  • The email includes a software update to install on your computer.

Here are some security tips to help you stay protected online:

• Even if a URL contains the word 'PayPal', it may not be a PayPal webpage.
  • When using PayPal, always ensure that the URL address listed at the top of the browser displays as https://www.paypal.com. The 's' in ‘https’ means the website is secure.
  • Look for the 'lock' symbol that appears in the address bar. This symbol indicates that the site you are visiting is secure.

If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk and then delete the fake email from your mailbox.

Hope this helps,

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too
137 REPLIES 137

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi Thomj

It could be a scam email

Did the email address u as Dear Full Name as genuine ppal emails do?

Have u checked your acc, has any money been taken?

Genuine ppal emails:

Always address u as Dear full name

Never ask u to click on links/downloads/attachments

Never ask for personal info

Never ask u to click on links from private emails

Always log in  via official site never from your private emails

If u  clicked on the link change your password and security questions immediately

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

This link explains more

[removed]

Login to Me Too

dreamboy3394
Contributor
Contributor

Hi i almost scammed to from paypal i got this email:

Thank you for ordering from Facebook. Your order 1924682306 was received on Dec 10, 2015 and is currently being processed.

Our goal is to process all orders within 24 hours of receipt. Orders are processed during regular business hours. 

You can change or cancel this order anytime you want , just complete thre required form and submit it.

-------------------------------------------------------------
ORDER SUMMARY:

Shipping Address:
Marion E. ‎[removed]
‎[removed]

Brighton, ‎[removed]

Merchant information:
Facebook Inc.
‎[removed]

Your order includes the following item(s):

Item: 18894276
Description: Pet Rescue Saga
Quantity: 1 @ £ 38.00
Shipping Method: Electronically

Sub-Total: £ 38.00

ORDER TOTAL: £ 38.00

Please retain a copy of this e-mail for your records. Once again, thank you for ‎[removed]

Best regards,
PayPal Customer Service

Please do not respond to this automated message. If you have questions about your order please contact our Customer Service, available twenty-four hours a day, seven days a week, at . ‎[removed]

Login to Me Too

dreamboy3394
Contributor
Contributor

the email was from ‎[removed]

why not paypal stop this scammers?

its no easy scam me but some people will think this emails are from paypal and lose maybe money or get hacked.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Jessica

Hi Dreamboy3394 and all, 

Thanks for posting in the forum and sorry for the late response.  

Sorry to hear that you are receiving these emails. While we wouldn't be able to ensure that this doesn't happen again, since they are not sent by us, there are certain things that you can do to prevent these emails. Here are some tips that may help:

1. Avoid posting your email address online. Email addresses are usually gathered by robots that are designed to scan websites for email addresses that are made public.

2. If you need to provide contact information, try writing it out in ways that would prevent these robots from scanning it. For instance you can use the following format:  email [at] domain [dot] com 

3. Don't use a username that is the same as your email address.

You can find more on how to recognize emails from PayPal in this link

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Jessica

Login to Me Too

christina1959

I have had same email and now get another email same place but different saying I authorised payment which I did not, had enough of this crap so closing my account .

Hello christinasuzanna

We're confirming that you've authorized PayPal to withdraw your payment directly from the bank account specified below. Please keep in mind that it may take 2 business day for your payment to process.

Payment Details:

From PayPal Account : my email was here
To PayPal Account :‎[removed]
Receiver Name: Samantha ‎[removed]
Payment Date: 12/21/2015
Payment Amount: $67.80
Confirmation Number: 1351321199

It this a legit transaction ? Did you know that PayPal offers you the option to cancel the transaction even if the payment was completed ? Provide us the information required and you will get a full refund.

Sincerely,
PayPal Staff

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Conor

Hi christina1959,

Welcome to our Community.

Good spot! That isn't a genuine email from PayPal.

As you probably know already, PayPal doesn't send those emails but we want to insure that our customers are armed with all the information they need to recognise a genuine email from a non-genuine message.

Here's an article from the PayPal Help Centre, which I think you'll find useful going forward if you're ever unsure: http://ow.ly/Ws6n2

If you still have that email in your junk folder, would you mind sending it to spoof@paypal.co.uk? It would be a big help 🙂

Conor

Login to Me Too

Please help me if this is legal transaction

Dear          JOSEPH ‎[removed]

In collaboration with PayPal incorporation.This is a confirmation email of the payment of P22,500.00PHP received from Mo. Williams on Mar 15/2016 regarding the item **SONY VAIO** bought from you,what is required of you in order for your account to be credited is the item's tracking/reference number, this number will be given to you at the courier office after you might have sent the item to the bearer, this is part of our new policy and a security measure in order to protect both the buyer and the seller, also to verify if the item was really bought from you we have sent you a confirmation email earlier to inform you that the payment is legal and has been confirmed, also to guide you against fraudulent acts. We have included the buyer's full name and amount paid for you to know this message was really sent from PayPal. We advise that you make sure the item is sent out as soon as possible and request for a tracking number at the post office after you might have sent out the item, then you can email us the number by replying directly to this message after it might have been given to you at the courier office so as to credit your account without delay.  After we receive the number from you for security verification, your account will be credited at once, Our system has witness new upgrades, Please don't be surprised if you see us forwarding you to new customer attendants, its due to the amount of fraud going on involving our name which we are trying all our best to limit and put a stop to. As soon as we receive the requested information from you, your account will be credited. Account Review Department.Sincerely,manager.

Login to Me Too

Pleas help me paypal community as the buyer already cursed me and threatens to report me to nbi but I need to check first if it is legit

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.