** Spoof / Phishing Emails - Tips on how to identify & stay protected **

PayPal_Siobhán

Due to the increase in Phishing /Spoof Emails being reported to PayPal I thought I would post a few tips on this topic that might help.

You’ll know that an email is not from PayPal when:

• The email uses a generic greeting like ‘Dear user’ or ‘Hello, PayPal member.’ We'll always address you by your first and last name.
  • The email requests financial and other personal information. A real email from us will never ask for your bank account number, debit or credit card number etc. Also we'll never ask for your full name, your account password, or the answers to your PayPal security questions in an email.
  • The email asks you to provide the tracking number of a dispatched item, before you've received the payment into your PayPal account
  • The email includes a software update to install on your computer.

Here are some security tips to help you stay protected online:

• Even if a URL contains the word 'PayPal', it may not be a PayPal webpage.
  • When using PayPal, always ensure that the URL address listed at the top of the browser displays as https://www.paypal.com. The 's' in ‘https’ means the website is secure.
  • Look for the 'lock' symbol that appears in the address bar. This symbol indicates that the site you are visiting is secure.

If you think you’ve received a phishing email, forward it to spoof@paypal.co.uk and then delete the fake email from your mailbox.

Hope this helps,

Siobhán 

Login to Me Too
137 REPLIES 137

eunzzz
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, just to check, are these two email address from PAYPAL?

[removed]

[removed]

Login to Me Too

minty1
Advisor
Advisor

Hi eunzzz

It wouldnt seem so ?

But genuine ppal emails:

Always address u as Dear Full Name

Never ask u to click on links/downloads

Never ask for personal/sensitive info

Any suspicious ppal emails can be forwarded to spoof@paypal.com

Login to Me Too

karlsahtel
New Community Member

at Eunzzz

[removed] is not a legitimate PayPal address. 

I also dealt with it but decided to forward the supposed buyer transaction cheque to spoof@paypal.com.

They replied to me in an instant that it is a "Phishing" attempt - an identity theft.

Login to Me Too

nogers93
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email from this email address after advertising a phone to sell. I was contacted by ***********, before being contacted by the address in subject. Although there were tell tale signs it was fake, I fell for it because I had received genuine emails from the same address before. I sent my phone to an address in Wisconson, USA a week ago and still haven't received payment. Does anyone know how to track down the location of this email address to press charges?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Dian

Hi Nogers93,

I am sorry that I had to edit your post. We do not allow names or email addresses to be mentioned on this Community.

If you have been a victim of fraud I would advise to go to the police to see if they can help you further. You can also send the email to us at spoof@paypal.com and we will take further action but I am afraid that we cannot keep you informed on any actions taken due to privacy laws. So it depends on how you want to continue with this but you can always forward it on to us and take further action yourself as well.

Dian

Login to Me Too

desertscout
Contributor
Contributor

Pay-pal is incorrect in advising that they cannot keep you apprised as to status of an investigation of which you are the initiating complainant. Complaints may also be filed with the FBI, and retaining an undisturbed original recipent e-mail helps immensely in tracking origin point- which, if it is outside of US area of jurisiction, may still receive action if there is enough activity to initiate pressure for the country of origin to take action.

Deleting a suspicious e-mail deletes any possibility of tracing origin point. Once you have forwarded the suspicious mail to a receptive 'serve and protect' agency, then you may delete it in good conscience.. I have used and loved Pay-pal for ages, but sometimes wonder if they have ostrich DNA in pursuing action against people who flagrantly violate copyright laws in use of redistered trademarks, which are enforceable under international codices.

This scam has been going on for years now. With the right resouces, these people could be stomped in under 6 months, so abjectly that only a fool would seek to continue this behavior.

Login to Me Too

cc7485
New Community Member

I received same email. I fund the real address, but I can't post it here directly.  it is  [removed]

Login to Me Too

Ejll
Contributor
Contributor

Just received the following email: You sent a payment of £21.00 GBP to Mailbanger. com. 27 Nov 2015 20:21:43 BST Receipt No: ****-****-****-**** Hi (my email address), This charge will appear on your statement as payment to PAYPAL *MAILBANGER. Merchant information: Mailbanger. com [removed]Instructions to merchant: None provided Delivery information: john a [removed](Address in another part of the country) United Kingdom Delivery method: Not specified Description Unit price Qty Amount UK 5 Million opt in Promo Item #: 53 £21.00 GBP 1 £21.00 GBP Total: £21.00 GBP No action is necessary unless this activity occurred without your knowledge or permission. In case you did not authorize the transfer , login and identify yourself to cancel the payment. © 1999 - 2015 PayPal. Clicking on the identify yourself link takes you to a site called .[removed]Obviously I didn't fill in any information but it didn't seem right!

Login to Me Too

Thomj
New Community Member

I did'nt order anything from this company shown below.... Scam?

Thank you for choosing PayPal ! Your order number is 55506912
As requested, we are sending you notifications with all your account activity. This is your last payment sent to PixWords of £18.00 on December  7 , 2015.

Product Code
Product Name
Quantity
Price(ea)
Total Price
CMG48
PixWords Credit
£18.00
£18.00

Merchandise Total:
£18.00
Discount:
(0)
Shipping & Processing:
£0.00

Total Charges:
£18.00

Once your payment is processed, your order will be sent as soon as possible. We'll send
you a shipment confirmation e-mail to let you know when you can expect delivery.

If this wasn't you, someone else might be trying to make an unauthorized payment.

Review your order and cancel the payment if necessary.

You don't need to reply to this message. For easy access to additional information, visit
My Account at www.paypal.com.

Be sure to include your order number, name, and mailing address in the body of your
message.

Thank you for your order. PayPal

QUESTIONS?
Please e-mail us, call 1 Login, Click "Help", Click "Call Us"; or write to Customer Service, Paypal,
READ PRIVACY STATEMENT:
Review our corporate Privacy Statement

Sincerly 2015 PayPal.

Please can someone confirm this is a scam email.

Regards

Thomj

Login to Me Too

honesta1
Contributor
Contributor

I received the same exact suspicious email and have not used paypal in years. The only difference is my email has a different order number. The rest is identical and I have the same concern as you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.