Someone wanted a commission gave them my Paypal got an email my account limit restrictions

MsBunny
Contributor
Contributor

So small artist here and I have my commissions open. I got a message on Instagram saying they want a commission. I accept give them my PayPal but then they asked for my PayPal email address probably my first mistake. I got an email saying Buyer's name sent me 300 but my limited restrictions as I need to have a business account. This money was a lot more than I anticipated as that wasn't my price but to receive that money. The directions on the email said that the buyer needs to send 200 more than I would get 500 credited to me, but then I must send the 200 back to the buyer and I am left with 300. I felt that this was fishy cause seeing in my PayPal activities shows me nothing of this transaction. So is this a scam to get me to give them 200, while I get nothing?

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @MsBunny and @JimBrazil,

Welcome to our community forum and thank you for your posts!

I can see how receiving that email would be concerning to you. All PayPal accounts allow you to send and receive payments. If you receive any email, the safest way to confirm the email’s validity is to log in to a PayPal account via the PayPal website (not using the links in the email received). Any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view. You can learn more about how to spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website here.

You can report the  suspicious email or website to PayPal by forwarding to  phishing@paypal.com and we’ll investigate it for you. 

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

JimBrazil
New Community Member

EXACTLY the same - check where the email came from - it is not from PayPal, the scammer sent it to me still have her  on Instagram trying to get money out out of me.

Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @MsBunny and @JimBrazil,

Welcome to our community forum and thank you for your posts!

I can see how receiving that email would be concerning to you. All PayPal accounts allow you to send and receive payments. If you receive any email, the safest way to confirm the email’s validity is to log in to a PayPal account via the PayPal website (not using the links in the email received). Any of the activity reported in the email will be available to view. You can learn more about how to spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website here.

You can report the  suspicious email or website to PayPal by forwarding to  phishing@paypal.com and we’ll investigate it for you. 

I hope this information helps!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.