Sent money to the wrong person - Won't send it back

bob_nj
Contributor
Contributor

I accidentally sent money to the wrong person, and he won't send it back.

All attempts to contact him, or get him to return my funds are unanswered.

I opened a complaint case, but Pay Pal wont' help.

What else can I do?

I am elderly and on a fixed income, and this just isn't right.

Why can't Pay Pal make him return my money?

I have supporting documentation that proves my case.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Bob

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bob_nj 

If you sent the funds using the goods/services option then you can open a dispute for non receipt of item and as that person does not have anything to send you, you would have a good chance of a refund once escalated to a claim. 

However if you sent it using the friends/family option then there is no buyer protection as it was a 'gift' of money sent so nothing you can do about it unfortunately. You could ask customer services to reach out to the recipient and ask them to refund but they can't legally force them to do so as it was a 'gift' of money.

You could try a chargeback if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card but they may refuse for the same reason ie gift payment. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Grandpa1009
New Community Member
Any luck on getting your money back? I'm on a fixed income, disabled, and can't afford to lose it? Any helpful suggestions would be welcome, and greatly appreciated!
Login to Me Too

bob_nj
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Grandpa1009

I have NOT had any success getting the money back.
Pay Pal can't help me because it was sent as a gift, which is their policy.

That was a mistake on my part, but as many others have done, and trying to pinch a penny here and there, I took the road more traveled by.

I hope you have more luck with the scoundrel you're dealing with.

How long ago was your incident?

Take care

Bob

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.