Sent money to my daughter ,her account was hacked and PayPal took that money for refunds.

Vandero
Contributor
Contributor

On May 19, 2020, at night my daughter woke up to her phone messages saying transactions completed by Paypal.  She logged in and found over 50 transactions already done and many more pending.  Someone had hacked her account and was paying by hundreds of different credit card to her account and transferring the funds immediately to a card we found out was purchased at Walmart.  She tried to change the password but they had changed her phone number so it took us a while to get the password changed.  We were able toemove the card the funds were being transferred to and started calling Paypal.  We could not get anyone because it was after hours, the next morning we spoke to Paypal probably 6 times, they got her password reset again and helped us to put 2nd login restrictions on it.  They also put limitations on the account to prevent any further transactions.  They told us a manager would call us,  we were told that probably 10 more times over the next 2-3 months but no one from Paypal has ever called us.  Phone logs will show that.  They will also show how many times we called paypal to try and get help.  They initially told my daughter that this would be resolved and taken care of, she still was able to access the account.  She had to pay her rent which we normally did through paypal.  I moved $1400 to her account using Friends and family, on May 21st, 2020.  She tried to access it that day and could not.  So she called them and they could see the money was transferred and said a manager would call her.  Instead she was locked out of the account and all funds frozen.  On June 30, 2020, she logged in and found not only all the money that was transferred in by someone else gone, but the $1400 was gone and she had a negative balance.  They had been refunding all the credit card transactions as fraud.  She called paypal and initially the person was nice and understanding, then they came back and said it was pending review and only a manager could talk to her and they would call.  Which of course they never did.  Around August, we sent a certified letter to the legal department at Paypal advising them they needed to look into this or we would take legal action.  I have the returned signature card.  In November my daughter received a call from Paypal, (not management, this was some department in collections), they told her that she was pending legal actions in collection due to a negative balance.  Evidently they do not keep notes or anything,  once again she explained everything to the lady,  she looked into whatever and said she saw what happened and not to worry about collections.  She was going to have a manager call about a refund of the $1400 they took.  No one called.   We called again on Dec 23rd, 2020 and they did talk to us but said that this will take 180 days and then they would return her money, that was on 12/23/2020.   We saw a lawyer on Dec 30, 2020 and he said it was his experience with paypal to wait a year. it has now been almost 1 1/2 years since her account was hacked.  We have called well over 20 times to help initially stop the transactions and to a send them pictures of the card the person was using to move the funds to and we took screen shots of most of the transactions which included peoples names.  But I researched some of the names and honestly could not find some of them on the internet.  So I believe it is possible that the person that hacked her account at least had some of the cards used to pay transactions.  So they got that money, then got the money again from the fraud department.  Since Paypal can't even give our money back or respond by calling us back, I doubt if they seriously looked into each card used and verify addresses.  What else can we do other than have the lawyer write a letter or file a claim in small claims court which we understand only has to be done in the area of our residence not the company.  We have all the screen shots,  all the cell phone logs documenting all the calls we made and when, as well showing the only call was about the collections from paypal.  We have the signed letter asking the legal department to look into it and refund our money.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Vandero
Contributor
Contributor

does a post 16 months ago that was different from my current post, and the original did not solicit any response from anyone seriously make this a duplicate post and therefore spam?  What is the time differential that one needs to wait before posting a question again?  2 years or 2 1/2 years?  Simply put this is nothing more than Paypal dodging seriously addressing the issue that they took her money when her account was hacked and we not only reported it but sent them as much information on everything going on.  So I cannot ask anyone this question again as it will be spammed.  Will look for another forum somewhere else I guess.  Paypal will not return any calls, they do not respond to messages on both Twitter and Facebook and even a certified letter did not get them to look into this.  Thanks for responding though at least you read it.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

duplicate posts.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

Vandero
Contributor
Contributor

does a post 16 months ago that was different from my current post, and the original did not solicit any response from anyone seriously make this a duplicate post and therefore spam?  What is the time differential that one needs to wait before posting a question again?  2 years or 2 1/2 years?  Simply put this is nothing more than Paypal dodging seriously addressing the issue that they took her money when her account was hacked and we not only reported it but sent them as much information on everything going on.  So I cannot ask anyone this question again as it will be spammed.  Will look for another forum somewhere else I guess.  Paypal will not return any calls, they do not respond to messages on both Twitter and Facebook and even a certified letter did not get them to look into this.  Thanks for responding though at least you read it.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.