Selling on Facebook MarketPlace Using Paypal

CalvinCK
New Community Member

Hi there everyone !

UK Based here!

Needing some advice/ guidelines with regards to selling items on Facebook Marketplace and using paypal to receive payments. I've listed an old laptop of mine on there and had a few messages over whether or not it could be posted which I was told never to do so a couple of years back due to scammers with either paypal or direct bank transfers but I did say I'd be happy to deliver depending on the location obviously majority went radio silent soon after however one had an account that looks pretty legit and the potential buyer said that shes only wanting postage because she lives way too far for me to drive to deliver or for her to come to me.

Just thought since its been a couple of years that there might be methods in place for selling and buying on facebook marketplace and using this as a way to manage payments that keeps it secure for both parties and yes I've read other posts on here as well as the buyer/seller (using goods and services) protection from paypal but still not 100% sure on how to do it in a way thats safe for at least sellers as from what I've seen it can be done both ways but usually from sellers scamming buyers. 

Does seem to be more common that people just want to pay online and have items posted in my recent tries at selling there so I thought someone might have a secure method by now. If paypal is the better option, do I get their email and request money to them under goods and services or give them my email to send to on messenger and check its under goods and services? I assume from what I have picked up to use a tracked postal service and provide a tracking number should the person recieving the item decide to try get their money back which I've done a lot on ebay but is there any other steps I should/could take to protect myself as best as possible for example should I film the laptop before sending just show its in an as described condition, take screenshots of the conversation incase I need to dispute anything with paypal to say I've described the item honestly?

I know there is always a risk with these things especially when its using payment methods that aren't associated with the selling platform (at least for the moment as facebook isn't offering its postal service yet in the UK) but if this is a method people use I must be able to protect myself in some way to hopefully keep my money safe in the off chance someone tries to take advantage. It'd be a massive help if there is as I'd feel much more comfortable using paypal as a way to recieve payments and I can list more items on facebook marketplace using that knowledge.

Thanks a lot in adanvance! 🙂

Login to Me Too
0 REPLIES 0

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.