Seller Protection

photogc
Contributor
Contributor

Hello - I am in what I feel is a losing situation.  I recently sold a subwoofer on Audiogon and paid through Paypal.  I shipped the item in great working condition.  Once the buyer received the speaker immediately sent bad feedback on Audiogon stating that they were scammed by the seller (me) and that the item was opened.  I Immediately started a Fedex claim because I assumed they were speaking of the box being opened and that the speaker was damaged.  Then still without contacting me directly asking about the item started a Paypal Claim.  I never took the money out because I never expected this situation because it was working perfectly when I sold it and shipped it.  The accusations through Audiogon from this seller were really rude, but then on all communication on Paypal are nice just stating the unit does not work and wants the money back.  I got Audiogon involved and am trying to work out a way to troubleshoot the speaker.  I am willing to take the item back, but now I am worried that the speaker may have been purchased and used for parts. Audiogon helped and sent a message to the buyer with a CC to me asking to see if there is an issue with the item.  That message was sent 3 days ago with no response.  I responded yesterday again asking to get a video with the speaker making the sound of the claim which is clicking noises.  I am accused of knowingly selling a non-working item and that I had already previously taken the screws out and worked on the speaker knowing it was not properly working.  I have photos of the back with the screws in perfect condition.  I would never list anything that did not work.  If the item did not work, I would list as for parts only and sell at a very inexpensive price.  I understand that if I received an item that did not work, I would contact the seller first and ask for my money back, if no responses then go through other ways to get the money back.  

My losing position is if I do refund the money back that I may never see the speaker again and at that point I would be out the original sale, the speaker and the $75 for shipping. Now they did pay the $75 in shipping through Paypal that really washes out.  But how do I get my item back, when I do not feel the buyer is being honest.

Thanks, and any feedback would help.  By the way at this time the claim is in the resolution phase.  Neither one of us has escalated to Paypal, but I fear that is next.  Should I escalate to Paypal to try and protect myself as the seller?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_Sean

Hello @photogc, Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting.

I'm sorry to hear you have had a dispute opened on your account. As it is in the dispute phase, this is the conversation between you and the buyer to see if a resolution can be made. If the dispute is not escalated to a claim, the dispute will close after the 20-day timeframe and your funds will be released from their hold. If it is escalated, we will then make a decision on the resolution. If the item is returned to you, the buyer has to return it to you at their cost. If it is returned to you in a state that is not how you originally sent it, please get in touch with PayPal so we can look into this for you.

I hope this helps,

- Sean

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.