Security Code

fionski
Contributor
Contributor

I received a security code via text a few minutes ago. This is unusual because I use 2 step verification. This prompted me to change my password.

How can a text code be generated if I am using a different method for authentication?

Aside from changing my password, what else can I do to secure my account?

Login to Me Too
7 REPLIES 7

Harsha4
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @fionski

Thank you for contacting PayPal community. I understand this is concerning. Firstly, if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' or your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as PayPal notifications would address you by your full name as set in your PayPal account.

Secondly, if there is a link or attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

The best way to validate the authenticity of any notification is by directly logging in normally and go to the Resolution Center for more information. You can refer this link for more information. 

Thank you,

Harsha 

Login to Me Too

fionski
Contributor
Contributor

It was a text, not an email. The message is:

Paypal: Your security code is 123456. It expires in 10 minutes. Don't share this code with anyone.

The last code I received was back in July 2021. Why did I receive this if I'm already using a 3rd party authenticator? How can it be possible when I disabled the text?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Olivia

Hi @fionski,

I'm sorry to hear that you received a code. Were you logging into your account at the time or was it out of the blue? The thing I can think is possible is that someone with a similar email to yours may have mistyped their email and tried to log in, and the system sent a code to you in case it was you, to allow you to confirm your attempt. If there was only one of them, or just a few at one time, that may have been the situation.

Changing your password is never a bad idea, and I'm glad you have been cautious!

Olivia

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the Community by giving kudos to its author, accepting it as a solution, and/or coming back to assist others. Members make this Community great!
Login to Me Too

fionski
Contributor
Contributor

I was not on my computer at that time when I received the text.  

Assuming that it was a "mistake" from someone who had a similar email as mine, they would have recognized that the number for the password reset isn't theirs:

fionski_0-1646294287590.png

I logged in as soon as I got the text and changed my password.

I guess someone was trying to access my account, which I realized only now.

All is well since my account is secure. 

Thanks to all who responded. 🙂

Login to Me Too

KopyKat58
Contributor
Contributor

I have received 11 such texts in the last month from 2 numbers: [removed]. I can account for 2 of them as I changed my password after a previous issue with Paypal and its subsidiaries. Someone used my Paypal account to open 3 bitcoin-type accounts and transferred large amounts of money from 3 bank accounts. These texts are occurring at all times of the day and night. The last one was this morning at 6:42 while I was sleeping. Paypal has been hacked in the past and with my experience with Remitly I'm very nervous about these texts.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @KopyKat58,

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I'm sorry to hear you've experienced some unauthorized activity recently, I can understand how that can be a bit concerning. Have you reporting the activity through our Resolution Center yet? If not, here's a Help Center article to guide you through that process: How do I report an unauthorized transaction or account activity?

If you're still running into some issues after that, please feel free to reach out to our Customer Support teams by clicking "Contact" at the bottom of any PayPal page. 

Good luck!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

KopyKat58
Contributor
Contributor

I've figured out this security code is being generated every time I update the account in Quicken. It is totally not needed. And I've discovered that I can't turn it off.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.