Scammer got me good.

Ryan_Skywalker
New Community Member
Hi guys, im from south africa, after 35 years on this earth and never been scammed, it finally happened. I was purchasing software from an individual, (claimed to be from the US) it was not done thru a registered seller on paypal, and not knowing the difference between the "friends and fam" option and the other one, i was told by this person that i should send the money using F&F option. I sent him $400 in total. As soon as the payment cleared he ghosted me. I cant get hold of him any way i try. I know the f&f option is not covered with disputes, but is there no way someone can help me get my money back or track this person down?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Ryan_Skywalker 

is there no way someone can help me get my money back

if you paid with card, you can see about a chargeback but no guarantees since this was essentially a gift payment you sent. I been hearing reports that PayPal may even deduct the amount of chargeback from PayPal balance on an f&f or even suspension of one’s account.

track this person down

Nope, unfortunately.

All is not lost, you paid tuition to learn a lesson not to pay with f&f when making a purchase. Scammers are very sophisticated these days. Always be watching and tread carefully online.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.