Scammed through Friends & Family

jforbes15
New Community Member

recently scammed due to my own mistakes of not doing much research, he told me to send through friends and family. is there anything at all i could do to get my money back? 

Login to Me Too
94 REPLIES 94
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Kristinedczb 

If you paid using goods/services you can open a dispute via the resolution centre in your paypal account.

If you used the friends/family option then you sent a gift of money and so have no buyer protection. 

However IF you funded that payment via a credit card then your card issuer may help you, however they may well refuse for the same reason ie that it was a gift payment and not a payment for goods or services.

If you used f/f and did not use a card then you are reliant on the other party refunding you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Loony_Phoenix
Contributor
Contributor

Obviously Pay Pal need to put up a notice to Scammers saying…”

Dear Scammers, please don’t use Friends and Family because the person you just scammed can’t get their hard earned money back!”

Im sure that will work!!!😡😡😡😡😡

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Loony_Phoenix 

If you haven't already figured out that friends/family payments are for sending gifts to friends and family.... !!! then Paypal gives you a warning, all you have to do is read the warning before you pay which states '' BUYER PROTECTION DOES NOT APPLY FOR THIS PAYMENT''.

Then you won't be scammed, easy really. 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

YaaKemet
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Craig,

So PayPal cannot help? Even with some written proof?

KR,

Yaa

Login to Me Too

Temp20220916J
Contributor
Contributor
Thanks. I bought a PS5 from someone and the odd thing is that person didn't provide the tracking number for the package he sent and it's been over a week since it didn't arrive. After that I'm not gonna fall for it again. If you're shopping through Mercari, beware of unverified sellers that sells PS5s lower than the retail price. It's a scam.
Login to Me Too

MadMok128
Contributor
Contributor
What happens with these kinds of scams is they send “something” to “someone” in your same city with the same zip code so the tracking number and info states it was delivered. You need to let PayPal know and they need to call the post office and although they cannot give PayPal the address it was sent to, the post office sure as hell can verify the item was or was not shipped to your address. This happened to me regarding what I’d call a “I should’ve known better” purchase of a fish finder. I filed right away and PayPal closed my dispute when the seller provided tracking. I called reopened the dispute and explained the tracking info did show something was delivered to my zip code but not to my home and I have security cameras to prove it. They called the post office and got what they needed to reverse the original ruling and my money was back rapidly.
Login to Me Too

jstewcrew
Contributor
Contributor

Hey that PS5 scam is still alive and well.  I was scammed as well. Same way as you, no tracking number.  They tried to get me to send even more money for shipping insurance but I refused telling them if there was more money needed I would send once that unit was in my possession! They've blocked our messages on facebook and also their email address on paypal.  Lesson learned! If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is!! 

I'm sorry that this has happened to you also. 

Login to Me Too

Temp20220916J
Contributor
Contributor
For those who fell victim of scam and fraud. What you can do is report the person you sent money to at www.ic3.gov. Hopefully this helps.
Login to Me Too

Shanicemguy
Was it helpful to you? I’m in the process of filling it out now.
Login to Me Too

Temp20231024ao
Contributor
Contributor
What can they do.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.