Scammed through Friends & Family

jforbes15
New Community Member

recently scammed due to my own mistakes of not doing much research, he told me to send through friends and family. is there anything at all i could do to get my money back? 

Login to Me Too
95 REPLIES 95

Maxbrock123
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, did you manage to get anywhere with this? Same just happened to me £600 and I don’t know what I can do about it, can’t afford to lose it
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Maxbrock123 

Did you fund your paypal payment via a credit card? If so see if they will chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Maxbrock123
Contributor
Contributor
I used a debit card and I’ve contacted them and they said we will read your message in the next week, get back to me in the next 2 weeks and the case will be resolved in 16 weeks with a very low chance of success, before even checking the situation, so yes I have but I’d much rather I give PayPal £10 and they sort it for me, cash is king to them is it not?
Login to Me Too

Shanicemguy
Did u get anything back?
Login to Me Too

macarenasolc

hi, did you have any luck with this? i got scammed the same way. LEt me know! thank you

Login to Me Too

zhensean1
New Community Member

I was recently contaxted through steam by a guy and he said that he was willing to buy my item for 180 euros. I said i can do that and he gained my trust buit I said that he would have to pay first he showed me that he did through screenshare and that he payed through friends and family. So I sent him the item he said that he would wait with me until the money came but then he blocked me on the voice chatting app we were using and steam and I did not get my money.

Login to Me Too

kkf_hu
Contributor
Contributor

you guys advocating for paypal introducing a safer family and friends policy are forgetting, hat that would be introducing the possibility for the buyer the scam the seller. cause you know, you pay the product with F&F and then when it arrives, you open a dispute and lie about not getting anything, or getting an empty box. in fact i have no idea how paypal is coping with such cases even if the transaction was G&S.

i mean i could pay G&S and ask for money back lying about nothing being in the box or just some filler to make the weight look realistic.

bottom line is, i know cross-border commissions are a **bleep**, cause for example if you buy something in the US from a European seller with G&S, you will find your seller asking for an extra 5,4%. now that is a huuuuge toll on a 500USD purchase, the shipping of which is already costing you an arm and a leg. but at the end of the day, you gotta ask yourself is zero safety worth it? cause paypal aint never gonna be playing along with you trying to cut corners and deprive them from their commission. what were you guys thinking?

Login to Me Too

ScammersTool
Contributor
Contributor

After reading this topic, I came to the conclusion that PayPal is the best tool for scammers

If you report a PayPal account being used by a scammer, PayPal does nothing. So you can still scam and trive. I might even consider it 

Scammers please keep using PayPal 

Everyone else #delete PayPal

Happy Days!

Login to Me Too

FrankP1
Contributor
Contributor

I have the best solution to this problem - do not use PayPal, they support fraudsters. Zelle, on the other hand, is refunding people who have been scammed. https://www.pymnts.com/news/banking/2023/zelle-network-banks-begin-reimbursing-imposter-scam-victims...

Login to Me Too

G1773y
Contributor
Contributor
I had a Facebook seller leaning on me to use f&f I said I'd pay as g&s and pay extra to cover the fees he got funny and left the chat. After giving me his PayPal account email. Is there any way I can report the email to PayPal as he is deliberately bypassing their fees and possibly scamming people. I didn't pay him anything btw.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.