Scammed by fake on-line store and PAYPAL claim is useless

Markco-123
Contributor
Contributor

Purchased 2 pairs of hiking boots from a factory outlet store for Keen Footwear that ends up being a Chinese fake on-line store and never received anything from the merchant. The merchant was not reachable and did not have a phone number listed or valid email address. Then tried to get this resolved through PAYPAL and PAYPAL replied that the merchant provided them with a USPS tracking number. That was all the information PAYPAL needed. PAYPAL's reply to me was "The case was closed in the seller’s favor as the seller provided a valid proof of delivery". I checked the USPS tracking number and sure enough, the tracking number showed that a package was delivered within my town (no street address listed) by way of first-class package service. How is that "valid proof of delivery"? Secondly, how is it possible to mail 2 pairs of hiking boots by way of first-class package service?... Only small packages can be sent first class.  And finally, I provided PAYPAL with proof/invoice showing that I purchased hiking boots from the fake store and the invoice on my credit card stated I that I had purchased "Medical Services", not footwear. I can't believe how badly PAYPAL has botched up this dispute. They overlooked everything I gave them and their handling of this dispute lacks any sort of common sense. I have zero faith in PAYPAL now. PAYPAL needs to make this right and protect us from the on-line thieves.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

Markco-123
Contributor
Contributor

"The case was closed in the seller’s favor as the seller provided a valid proof of delivery".

PAYPAL's level of proof of delivery amounts to the seller/scammer providing PAYPAL with a USPS Tracking Number of any package delivered to any address that matches the timeframe of the alleged purchase and the town/city and state of the buyer. That is an extremely low level of proof needed for scammers to bypass PAYPAL protection and **bleep** buyers. BEWARE!... PAYPAL does not check to see is the USPS Tracking Number of the package matches the street address of the buyer! I checked and comfirmed this with the post office and I now have additional proof that the scammer did not send the package to my address but PAYPAL quickly closed the case. How do I reopen the case based on this new evidence?

Login to Me Too

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Markco-123

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I can certainly understand how a dispute with that result would be a bit frustrating. You have the right idea of double-checking the address the package was delivered to. Normally, the Post Office can't advise where the package was delivered to, just that it was not delivered to your address. And usually that's enough evidence to Open an appeal on that case's decision. If you don't see the option to open an appeal in your Resolution Center, please reach out to our Customer Support teams for assistance there. 

Good luck with your appeal, 

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Markco-123
Contributor
Contributor

I filed a dispute with my credit card a couple of days ago because I was getting nowhere with PayPal. I had difficulty filing an appeal with PayPal but I was able to file it with assistance of PayPal messaging. I eventually received a message back from PayPal stating:

"We Can't Investigate or Decide This Case

You filed this dispute with your financial institution or credit card company, not PayPal. We can’t provide additional details or updates on this claim because we don’t have access to your financial institution’s investigation details."

So now I can't proceed with my Appeal unless I drop the dispute with my credit card. I shouldn't have to give up on either dispute and now I'm not sure what to do next.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.