Scam by website, paid via PayPal but transaction doesn't appear.

PyrateJim
Contributor
Contributor

Shopping on WayFair, clicked on an item in their "Daily Super/Closeout Specials." Ordered a metal gazebo via WayFair and paid through PayPal, using my AmEx card. Received receipts from PayPal with transaction number, charge amount, ect......  Following the tracking number provided, it took 6 weeks for item to arrive. When it arrived, it was a small costume jewelry necklace and charm. Confirmed tracking number was correct and tracking number showed it was a 12' x 10' metal gazebo.  Going to my WayFair account, there is no record of this transaction and going to my PayPal activity, there is no such transaction listed. Going to my American Express transaction history, it shows a transaction for this purchase being paid to PAYPAL *(insert company name here).  How do I dispute this transaction and get my money refunded when the transaction doesn't even show, yet I have the transaction id, merchant transaction id, invoice id, ect.....       I tried reaching out to the selling company and they have disappeared. Website is gone, emails get bounced back, ect.... 

Thank you.

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@PyrateJim 

You don't have Paypal buyer protection cover as a guest buyer but you can contact customer services and they may be able to assist you by reaching out to the seller for you.
So If you need help for a guest buyer transaction then you can;

1. Phone Paypal customer services and see if they will help you.
OR
2. Contact your card issuer for a chargeback.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PyrateJim
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you. I don't know why it did it ad a Guest as I had to sign-in to my account and I have been a PayPal customer for over 15 yrs. The company has vanished, email is no good and the scammers have moved on. Fortunately I heard back from American Express and it appears they are crediting my account, while trying g to contact this ghost company and person.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.