Scam artist report

WarNG
Contributor
Contributor
How do you report a scam artist that preys on others that claims to sell parts on the Facebook forums using PayPal? If I can't get my money back I want to at least warn others of this person or at least open up a case to have them investigated.
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

mmkhere
Contributor
Contributor

I doubt PayPal has any concern or available resources to aid in nabbing scammers and thieves.
Your best route is getting all the information about said scam artist together, get details on their whereabouts and other essential information . Once you have all of this, get testimonies and details from the victims and their account of being scammed. After which, contact his/her local police department's Cyber crime section and present your findings. This seems like the most impactful approach with sound results.

Also seek out Facebook groups that highlight scammers and thieves. Mark his postings as scam on FB to deter him further.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
10 REPLIES 10

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@WarNG 

As long as you paid using goods/services and not friends/family then you would have buyer protection.

So click on the transaction and using the report a problem link bottom of that details page open a dispute for non receipt of item? 

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too
Solved

mmkhere
Contributor
Contributor

I doubt PayPal has any concern or available resources to aid in nabbing scammers and thieves.
Your best route is getting all the information about said scam artist together, get details on their whereabouts and other essential information . Once you have all of this, get testimonies and details from the victims and their account of being scammed. After which, contact his/her local police department's Cyber crime section and present your findings. This seems like the most impactful approach with sound results.

Also seek out Facebook groups that highlight scammers and thieves. Mark his postings as scam on FB to deter him further.

Login to Me Too

WarNG
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for that reply. That's a very good solution. I want this person caught so I'll try and pursue this as you recommended. I don't want anyone else to get caught by this person.

Login to Me Too

JustSomeKid
New Community Member
Following! And adding momentum to this topic right here. I’m going to get in touch with someone and spend a dumb amount of time scambaiting and compiling a list of addresses for them to delete or at least investigate. If anyone has a point of contact please forward the info my way. TIA In the mean time, don’t trust anyone.
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Bindu

Hello @JustSomeKid and everyone,

Thank you for posting in the PayPal Help Community!

I see you're looking to report a scam artist. PayPal always encourages the users to report any violations of the Acceptable Use Policy immediately. You can complete and submit the form if you identify a violation, PayPal will investigate the matter and take appropriate action, if necessary. I recommend referring this article for more information PayPal’s Acceptable Use Policy : What is PayPal’s Acceptable Use Policy and where can I find it?

I hope this information is helpful, have a great day!

Bindu

If you feel this or any other post helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

bgreensmail
Contributor
Contributor

I was offered a product by Dave Warmer, a Facebook member. Seemed an upstanding guy, and he had proof of product. I paid via PayPal friends & family (at his insistence) to CJ Alverez, his "son" (he claimed). The money was immediately nabbed from PayPal ...

after which his daughter was suddenly rushed to the hospital, where she died, creating such distress that the product was destroyed, while leaving the father penniless, unable to provide a refund. 

What a story. 

DO NOT engage with Dave Warmer on Facebook/Messenger, or CJ Alverez on PayPal. You will get nothing. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bgreensmail 

Or don't use the friends/family option if they are not close friends or family members?

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

bgreensmail
Contributor
Contributor

Yup, my mistake and I knew better. I was too eager to get what he was offering. Fishy from the start, but I'd been looking for this item for months, he sent me dated photos of it, and it all "seemed" legit, but I clearly got suckered. My risk, my loss ... I not only will not get this item, I will never get one because I blew the money on a scam. I am usually cynical and cautious but emotion prevailed. Once. Never again.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@bgreensmail 

There is one chance. Did you fund your payment via a credit card?

If so then contact them and see if they will chargeback for you?

They may decline as well as it was a gift payment but no harm in asking? 

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.