SCAMMED - friends and family transactions

Khann
Contributor
Contributor

I am in real trouble. A facebook friend asked me if she can use my paypal because her paypal is not working for some reason and her family needs money. She asked me if her boss can send money to my account and I then forward to her family. I thought maybe she needs help. I agreed. The next day I got around 400 canadian dollars. She asked me to forward the money by using friend and family option. She also sent me a screenshot how to do it. I forwarded the amount. Then the next 3 days I got the money again from someone and forwarded it. In total I received around 1500 canadian dollars and I forwarded it. I had no idea that it's a SCAM. On third day when I forwarded money, I got a message from Paypal that the first transaction of 400 CAD was unauthorised and the account holder has claimed the buyer protection. I told this to facebook friend. She said do not worry, she will talk to her boss. That was a lie. She is saying her boss has cheated me. It was clearly a SCAM. I couldn't understand. Now paypal has initiated a permanent closure of my account and ask me to refund money to the buyers. I have not sold anything. I was only doing favour. I didn't know if this will get me in trouble. Now I think sooner or later I have to pay all 1500 CAD which I forwarded it as a friend and family category. Can someone help me what options do I have ? Isn't there a way at paypal to handle such SCAMS ? 

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Khann 

Unfortunate as it is there is no protection for friends/family payments and you sadly allowed the scam to happen by trusting a social media 'friend'.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
13 REPLIES 13
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Khann 

Unfortunate as it is there is no protection for friends/family payments and you sadly allowed the scam to happen by trusting a social media 'friend'.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Khann
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for the reply. That means I have to now refund all transactions from my own pocket. okay but won't Paypal trace the real scammers ? They just got away with all money even I have a proof (social media communication) that I was asked to send money in those account.. ?

Login to Me Too

Jeos47
Contributor
Contributor
I also got scam friends and family BS and PayPal does absolutely nothing to help you I'm sorry to hear about your situation was worse than mine but I'm sure **bleep** off as I'm sure you are and it's just ridiculous that this PayPal won't do a damn thing to protect the people who are sending the money I sent money for something I was buying and they came back wanting more and more money according to PayPal there's nothing they can do file a claim on it wait for so many days till the 28th for them to tell me I'm s*** out of luck what good is this service protect the thieves and punish the hard-working people who use this service and think it's a legitimate business PayPal take another look at yourself
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jeos47 

Paypal gives you buyer protection for goods and services, you did not buy anything, if you had you would have used the goods/services option?

You sent a friends/family payment to someone who presumably was not a close mate or a family member? So you sent a 'gift' of money to someone.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Jeos47
Contributor
Contributor
No I sent friends and family because that way they got the money right away so I did not have to wait for a week or two that's why I did friends and family don't tell me why I did what I did you don't even know me
Login to Me Too

Khann
Contributor
Contributor

guys it's really complicated. I would only wish that Paypal somehow make these criminals accountable.. really disappointed.. shouldn't do favour to anyone.. lesson learned.. 

Login to Me Too

Jeos47
Contributor
Contributor
AGREED!!!!!##
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jeos47 

So you knowingly broke Paypal rules and used the family / friends option to pay for goods or services?

Great way to get a permanent limitation of your Paypal account if Paypal checks the payment.

And you sent it so that they got their money quickly and evaded paying their paypal fee?

That was so you got your item more quickly, and now you won't get your item at all !!  

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20211129a 

Sadly if folks break the rules and use an option that negates their buyer protection then no paypal will not refund.

Why should they? They clearly state friends/family has NO protection so buyer beware.

Even credit cards don't cover you for 'gift' payments and bet they can afford it as well.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.