SCAM/FRAUD SELLER Posting on Facebook

temp20222506
Contributor
Contributor

I recently thought I was purchasing a great deal from Facebook. There was an advertisement coming from Wayfair for a five-piece outdoor furniture set with cushions selling for $89.99. When I submitted the order, no email was coming back from Wayfair for the confirmation. Instead, it was a suspicious SCAM/FRAUD SELLER ending with 163.com. I was furious and immediately called my bank to stop this transaction. My bank told me to call Paypal and sure enough, that amount was already on my account. Paypal is NO HELP! I checked the status of this dispute and just like everyone else, it was CLOSED! The Seller gave Paypal a fictitious tracking number that was sent by USPS. This SCAM Artist is from China and there is no fringing way that USPS will ship Outdoor Furniture to be placed in a mailbox!  I'm furious, because I lost $112.00. I'm looking into this further and will blast this all over Facebook about this SCAM and also how PayPal will not help!

Looking for help or advice from this Community to see if anyone else had similar problems with this!

Login to Me Too
41 REPLIES 41

4gr8kids

This happened to me 3/19/22.  I ordered 2 items to a tune of $160.  Like you, I tried to submit a credit card # and it buffered it for so long that I went ahead with Pay Pal.  I was charged immediately.  When I received an email from supposed Wayfair, the contact email address was NOT Wayfair.  I called my credit card fraud department that night and also the next day.  I was told by 2 individuals that I should wait and see if I receive any products.  To this day I have received nothing!  

I was able to print everything off and found out payment went to CHEERS WAY (HK) LIMITED.  I tried to bring up the site https://huaop.shop, but to no avail.  Was blocked out.

Don't think I'll ever use PayPal again.  But really, I'm more mad at myself for being duped, and am writing it off as 'lesson learned'. 

Login to Me Too

cddi
Contributor
Contributor

Same thing just happened to me. I immediately contacted PP, but since it was after hours I had to wait and by then it was too late, and the transaction was completed.  The seller gave a tracking numbers and PP closed the case.   I was able to show a screenshot and show them that it was a scam using Wayfair's page, but it did nothing PP took the seller's fraudulent word.  I also reported this to the USPS since they are being used as the "delivery" service, maybe the mailman can vouch for no delivery, but at this point I just feel violated from a scam seller and have lost a lot of faith in PP.  I feel that PP at least owes a more personal touch than just an email and no way to contact a reply....cold way to do business.  I may rethink using PP and I hate that since I have been a loyal customer for years.

Login to Me Too

Temp20220408U

I had the same scam happen to me. I notified PayPal before it was processed that it was a scam and to stop my payment but they didn't. Paypal took the side of the supposed seller because they made up a tracking number for USPS. I told Paypal it was for outdoor furniture and that it wouldn't be sent through USPS but my claim was denied and I am out $114.00!! The scammer even changed the amount Paypal was charged and Paypal did not check with me before putting the new amount on my account. Paypal said that they were even intouch with this scammer but I can't get intouch with him!! 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Temp20220408U 

Paypal is just a payment processor that gives you 'some' buyer and 'some' seller protection.
So disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring Paypal customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your Paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

PK_1marine
Contributor
Contributor
Same happened to me. My bank denied the payment to PayPal then PayPal said i owed them the money because they went ahead and paid it, luckily I got it resolved though PayPal. This makes me wonder if PayPal is involved with this scam since this has been happening over a year they should know it’s a scam and not let payment go though.
Login to Me Too

Lovincalif40
Contributor
Contributor
Me Too!!!! Same as all the others my only wish is I would of seen all this first. It was such a "great" deal that I just jumped on it before any logic could step in. Paypal made the decision in the seller favor a well because they sent me menopause medication lol far from a snowblower even the shipping information says that it was left in the mailbox in pretty sure if a snowblower was in my mailbox that wouldn't be something I would miss lol so to say the least I'm disappointed that paypal is obviously on notice with this seller being a fraud and yet still decided on their favor. Hopefully this will help someone else before it's too late
Login to Me Too

Lovincalif40
Contributor
Contributor
Me Too!!!! Same as all the others my only wish is I would of seen all this first. It was such a "great" deal that I just jumped on it before any logic could step in. Paypal made the decision in the seller favor as well because they sent me menopause medication lol far from a snowblower even the shipping information says that it was left IN the mailbox I'm pretty sure if a snowblower was left IN my mailbox that wouldn't be something I would just miss lol so to say the least I'm very disappointed that paypal is obviously on notice with this seller being a fraud and yet still decided in their favor, absolutely annoying. Hopefully this will help someone else before it's too late!!!!
Login to Me Too

Neilene
Yea I was dooped I got 2 omg I guess I will never get them or my money back waaa damm people are soo evil sometimes
Login to Me Too

stevwatsn
Contributor
Contributor
PayPal sucks. I disputed the tracking info due to the fact that I have a Ring doorbell proving the postal worker walked by and delivered no package. Simply by providing a tracking number showing product was delivered they closed it. **bleep**!!!!!
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Alessa

Hello @stevwatsn,

Welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! I am sorry that you have had a negative experience with a recent online transaction. If a recent Purchase Protection Claim was closed and you do not agree with the case decision you may be able to proceed with an appeal. Here is how to Request a Claim Appeal. Thank you again for reaching out on the PayPal Community Forum, I hope the information provided is able to assist with your concerns. 

- Alessandra

If you find this or any other post was helpful, to make our community better please feel free to give kudos or accepting the answer as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.