SCAM/FRAUD SELLER Posting on Facebook

temp20222506
Contributor
Contributor

I recently thought I was purchasing a great deal from Facebook. There was an advertisement coming from Wayfair for a five-piece outdoor furniture set with cushions selling for $89.99. When I submitted the order, no email was coming back from Wayfair for the confirmation. Instead, it was a suspicious SCAM/FRAUD SELLER ending with 163.com. I was furious and immediately called my bank to stop this transaction. My bank told me to call Paypal and sure enough, that amount was already on my account. Paypal is NO HELP! I checked the status of this dispute and just like everyone else, it was CLOSED! The Seller gave Paypal a fictitious tracking number that was sent by USPS. This SCAM Artist is from China and there is no fringing way that USPS will ship Outdoor Furniture to be placed in a mailbox!  I'm furious, because I lost $112.00. I'm looking into this further and will blast this all over Facebook about this SCAM and also how PayPal will not help!

Looking for help or advice from this Community to see if anyone else had similar problems with this!

Login to Me Too
41 REPLIES 41

gregbailey73
Contributor
Contributor

he same issue on Marketplace under their Sponsered listings. I paid the same 89.99 and 20 minutes later after noticing the scam I called Paypal to get them to reverse the charge as it is a scam. The reply I got was that Well we have to give it time to see if the seller ships the item. Ive been waiting 3 weeks and finally after the seller gives a fake tracking number Paypal sides in thier favor. This is flat out fraud! And seems Paypal must be in on the scam or something. You should be able to cancel a transaction if you feel there maybe an error or foul play and not give these scammer days or weeks to run off with our money. Something needs to be put in place to protect online consumers from these types of scams. A simple way to cancel within 24hr if need be.

Login to Me Too

Joanie101
New Community Member
Same. PayPal says deal with the seller. Site can’t be found. PayPal was no help. Waited 2 and a half hours on hold to talk to a live body. No answer. Has anyone tried cancelling card as fraudulent charge through PayPal.
Login to Me Too

Lmcelveen
I also purchased an item and went through PayPal. I guess I was lucky but 20 mins after opening up a case they gave me a refund.
Login to Me Too

Peter369
Contributor
Contributor

Yes , Paypal is in on all scams as they receive the commision from the transaction.

Login to Me Too

Melmt
Ijust realized my order was also placed on a fraudulent site. Seems there is no way to reverse the order. Even though they specify no money taking out of your account until it has been shipped. There is literally nothing that can be done. Other orders Ive placed over time has had fake tracking numbers. There is no protection
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adam1

Hi, thanks for posting to our Community. I'm sorry to hear that you've had a poor experience with our claims process. Please use the 'Contact' link to reach customer support, and we'd be happy to look into that with you. 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@temp20222506 

Paypal is a payment processor, so they sent the payment YOU requested to be sent to the seller of your choice.

They can't turn around and snatch it back again because you made a mistake.

Paypal covers you for non receipt of item OR item received but not as described (terms and conditions as per buyer protection policy).

They do not cover you for 'changed mind' or 'bought from a scam seller'.

So .............

Disputes for non receipt of item are mostly automated. Seller provides tracking that shows delivery = seller wins.
So then its your turn to do some work to assist Paypal in recovering your purchase price from your seller.

Firstly ring customer services and tell them that the number is fake or that the item was shown as shipped before you purchased it. With that information they may well just issue you a refund.

Secondly if they don't then... APPEAL
To submit an appeal on the dispute that was closed, PayPal asks that you obtain a detailed report from the shipper/courier (on their letterhead or some other form of official stationary) that includes the address the seller gave them for the shipment. Or one that includes a statement mentioning your address and saying the item was delivered to a different address. THEY DON'T HAVE TO SAY WHICH ADDRESS IT WAS SENT TO, JUST THAT IT WAS NOT DELIVERED TO YOUR ADDRESS.

Check tracking in below link to see where it went.
https://www.17track.net/en

When you have that, contact PayPal via phone (log on to your account and click contact at the bottom of the page, or via Facebook (send a Private Message to PayPal) or via Twitter (send a Direct Message to @AskPayPal) and say you want to appeal the denial of the dispute based on the shipper saying the item was delivered to a different address. Once it's submitted (you will be provided with directions on how to do that), the dispute will be reviewed further and a determination will be made.

You also have the option to contact your card issuer if you funded your paypal payment that way and see if they will do a chargeback for you.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Vermaric
Contributor
Contributor

Had a similar scam played out on me after buying goods off eBay in the US, admittedly not exactly the same scam, but it worked and caused me a lot of wasted time with PayPal. The scam was simple, ship a cheap memory SD card or similar to a different person's suite (I'm exporting using MYUS.COM in Sarasota), the phony goods are accepted and checked it but the buyer (me) is not notified of the delivery and cannot ask for the goods to be inspected. 

The main problem with PayPal is they're using AUTO BOTS to handle customer interfacing and complaints, claims etc. to put it bluntly IT'S AN ABSOLUTELY CRAP SYSTEM!

Login to Me Too

Vermaric
Contributor
Contributor

That's a good question, after checking details, addresses before purchasing I eventually went ahead and ordered a drone, since then nothing...
I didn't see any negative feedback on Facebook, in fact there appeared to be many happy customers, so today I've reported the goods to PayPal as not being received, now they are "reviewing" my case.

One comment I will make is Facebook are running lots of these ads, and they must be aware if they are indeed scammers, Facebook is quick enough to suspend accounts for what they consider "hate speech, fact, and truths" etc. etc. etc. so why are Facebook allowing these ads to continue if they are indeed scammers?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.