Returns

BobWoody
Contributor
Contributor

I bought a cooker hood from a UK seller - it was listed as 78cms.

The hood arrived & was 52cms wide - totally useless to me.

I requested a return on the hood as it was not what I'd bought.

I was amazed when Ebay told me the seller had declined the return & had closed the case.

I got onto Paypal & they conceded that I should get a refund.

So if I send the cooker hood to the returns centre in Luxemburg they would give me a refund.

How nuts is that - they are asking me to pay £80 to send back an item I was wrongly sold in the UK.

I spoke to a helpful guy on paypal & he told me he would sort things out & ignore any messages.

I'm now getting messages saying send by the 2nd Oct or the case will be closed.

19 years with Ebay & a couple of problems on the way but I've never felt that Ebay was conning me till now.

Really poor Ebay why can't I get a refund on an item I've been miss sold - Luxemburg is just rubbing salt in the wounds.

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BobWoody 

Sounds as if you opened a 'return request' on Ebay instead of clicking on the 'more' option and scrolling down to select wrong item received when the seller would have been forced to accept a return and would have had to provide a shipping label.  

I have just done this on my Ebay account for a lawn mower that didn't work, you don't ask the seller for a return, you have to click on 'more' and select that it was not received or not as described. Seller sent me a shipping label and got my refund just now.

However an Ebay dispute and a Paypal dispute are 2 separate companies and 2 separate dispute policies so if you opened a paypal dispute then yes you have to send the item back as per below.

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

BobWoody
Contributor
Contributor

Why would Ebay hide the "wrong item received" in the "more" section.

It's got to be the main reason anyone sends anything back.

I was told by the Ebay guy that I should put a claim in via Paypal which I did.

He said I could "out manoeuvre" the seller by making a Paypal claim.

It's Ebay that has out manoeuvred me by sending me off to Paypal to sort out what was their problem.

The whole thing stinks - I sent photos showing what I'd been sent & it's clearly the wrong item.

I never ticked the right box so now I've got a cooker hood that's no use to me.

I'm not paying £80 to send it to Luxemburg on the off chance that I'll get some of my money back.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BobWoody 

I had a faulty lawn mower and needed to make a claim, none of the first set of reasons matched the fact it was faulty so I auto clicked on more to find the correct one > seller sent shipping label > returned > refunded.

If not sure always best to ask on Ebay or Paypal forums.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.