Return shipping costs for a dispute

stf95
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I recently purchased an item that was not as described. The seller has agreed to issue a full refund if I return the item, so I opened a dispute with PayPal and have since shipped the item back to the seller with Royal Mail tracked delivery. 

I assumed the cost of shipping the item back would be refunded either by the seller or PayPal, as I received an incorrectly described item which the seller has admitted fault for. However, I cant find any straightforward information about who will pay for the (expensive) return costs. I have found links on the PayPal site that suggest they will reimburse this cost, but whenever I attempt to click these links I get an error message.

Does anyone know if I'll get my money back for return this item to the seller? 

Thanks for any help

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stf95 

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@stf95 

Paypal state this >>
IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.

https://www.paypal.com/uk/webapps/mpp/refunded-returns

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Jynuine
I firmly believe there are companies who purposefully scam customers using this as a tactic. My case was just closed when I only saw the response on a Friday night. The company offered me only a few dollars out of the over $120 I spent threatening I would have to pay for shipping. Unfortunately, the company’s own policy states they would cover shipping for incorrect items- they sent a bunch of incorrect and broken items and not what I ordered knowing I couldn’t afford to send it back to China.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Jynuine 

You're right these Asian companies know it will cost you more to return the item that often the item costs so they play the system.

However if you funded your paypal payment via a credit card then see if they will chargeback for you?

Also to avoid them ....

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.