Return shipping. Are they obligated to pay?

RiouAl7
New Community Member

Purchased an item online. I contacted the seller prior to the order being shipped and asked to double check it would be the correct one. Seller confirmed it would be correct via email. Seller sent me the incorrect item and on contacting them their sales representative apologized because they 'missed' one part of the email so they accepted a return. The original order was $22 which included shipping. They requested I return the item via media mail and with a picture of the receipt they would reimburse me the return shipping specifically to Paypal which I agreed to. The terms on their website state they would offer this reimbursement as a website credit not a refund, but I made sure to ask specifically about it being sent as a return to my Paypal because it was their issue. Plus I checked out as a guest and didn't have an account to reimburse as credit to anyway. Since then they've received the item via USPS as a return. They initiated the refund of the $22 for the original order, but are not responding or reimbursing me for the return shipping. Because they returned the order amount I am unable to find any way to dispute the order for the agreed upon return shipping. Am I **bleep** out of this return money if they choose to ignore me? This was purchased on a random website, not Ebay; I checked out using Paypal. 

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hi @RiouAl7

Welcome to the PayPal Community! 

I am sorry to hear you are having issues with a purchase made via PayPal. 

Returning an item to the seller to receive a full refund is a common outcome when you receive something not as described. It is to help avoid one party having both the money and the item. Please understand that it would be the buyer's responsibility, not the sellers, to return the item. If the seller wants to assist with return postage, they can, but it is not a requirement and cannot be enforced by PayPal. 

I am sorry we cannot provide you with the answer you were hoping for today. 

-Rebecca. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.