Report an email of a scammer working through Paypal

Verushka56
Contributor
Contributor

Hi there, 

How do I report the email of someone I know is running a scam on Facebook? They are using Paypal to get their money. 

I am thoroughly confused with the help options and can't find how to do this. 

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
8 REPLIES 8

kdean2020
New Community Member

Let me know if you find out how, I have one too

Login to Me Too

fatoldcapt
Contributor
Contributor

I have been trying to  report (Phishing) Fraudulent email that I have received over the last few weeks. Unfortunately for me, I haven't found any way to do this. I have 3 emails from different people saying I will be charged $639.98 for a Tablet from Target. Another for Target "Fitbit Watch" for the same amount. Lastly one for $696.89. I copied and pasted these to "Message" board. They were compressed so that they don't appear as they did when received. I was directed to call them (paypal). I did this but it didn't work well. The person on the phone had a very thick accent and I couldn't understand him very well. So.. unless something changes, I'm done. Thank you very little PayPal. No money has been taken. I suspect it was a attempt to get me to call them and give personal info???   

Login to Me Too

Verushka56
Contributor
Contributor

Sighs. Really?

For a company that boasts about it being secure, it's seriously not interested in protecting its users. 

Is there a Paypal Moderator on this board at all who can answer questions like this? Or is it a matter of Paypal saying: here's a board, good luck we are washing our hands of this issue?

Login to Me Too

fatoldcapt
Contributor
Contributor

Found a site that might help. Search: Known Phishing Scams. This platform won't let me print web site info. But if you find this. Follow instructions in first paragraph at top of first page. 

Login to Me Too

shinegc123
Contributor
Contributor

Totally agree with you 

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fatoldcapt 

Forward to spoof@paypal.com or just delete it if you know its a spoof.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Verushka56
Contributor
Contributor

Will do!

Login to Me Too

Verushka56
Contributor
Contributor

I had to call them and got put through to someone who kept saying they would only limit an account when a requisite number of complaints about it came in -- however, she wouldn't tell me how many that is OR why they wouldn't limit the account when I can show them messages of the scam, and prove IU can no longer contact the scammer bc he's blocked me from messaging him on Facebook. 

I have reported the page to Facebook and Scamwatch -- I have to admit, it's remarkably impressive how companies like Paypal and Facebook create arbitrary rules that somehow or the other always mean they exert the least amount of energy and manpower in addressing scammers that work on their site. 

They really are of the opinion that they are happy to let people get scammed, and only those who are tech savvy enough to nvigate their incomprehensible help pages should deserve for their cases to be addressed. 

And this from a compny who boasts about keeping people safe BUT they shoudl add only on their terms and with the least amount of eneergy expended. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.