Reoccurring charge from a company that is no longer in business

Outdoorgirl86
New Community Member

I received a reoccurring charge from a company that is no longer in business. Their websites on their receipts go nowhere/they are down. When you Google their business name the business is nowhere to be found - it's like they never existed.... Instead of Paypal refunding the money, they tell me to contact the seller. How do you contact a seller that is no longer in business!!!?? They have no phone, no website, and the email on the receipt was bounced back to me... I thought I was protected by buyer protection. Very disappointing! 

Has anyone else had this happen and what did you do? Did you get anywhere with Paypal?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Outdoorgirl86 

Check if you have an automatic payment with the merchant and cancel it to stop future charges:

https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/what-is-an-automatic-payment-and-how-do-i-cancel-or-upda...

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Outdoorgirl86
New Community Member

Thank you for your gracious and speedy reply. Yes, I have taken care of that part. Thank you.

What I am concerned with is that Paypal is not refunding the charge. Why is this company that is NOT in business anymore - allowed to keep my money for services I did not get?

Thanks,

Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Outdoorgirl86 wrote:

Thank you for your gracious and speedy reply. Yes, I have taken care of that part. Thank you.

What I am concerned with is that Paypal is not refunding the charge. Why is this company that is NOT in business anymore - allowed to keep my money for services I did not get?

Thanks,

With recurring payments, it’s tricky to dispute because it’s an agreement with merchant of advanced authorization to charge one’s account for one time, recurring or occasional basis. If PayPal can’t find unauthorized access, you’re generally responsible for canceling it in your PayPal account and/or with merchant.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.