Refund after 180 days.

jb1996
New Community Member

I ordered an item on the 29th of December without realising it was from Australia. It arrived end of January, I refused to pay £15 charge for the shipping and therefore the item was sent back after 29 days in my local post office (procedure). I was assured by the seller I would receive a refund once they received my item, was also told it would take approximately 3 months for them to get my item back because it was sent by sea mail. I messaged the seller again recently and was told to open a dispute with paypal but the dispute was automatically closed because it's been over 180 days since I paid for the item? Just wondering if there's a way around it. I did try ringing customer service but the automated machine doesn't recognise my problem and I couldn't get through to anyone and can't find an email address to paypals customer service. 

Login to Me Too
20 REPLIES 20

PayPal_Rachael
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi jb1996,

Welcome to the community forum.

I am afraid if it has been more than 180 days since you made the payment we wouldn't be able to look into this issue. This timeframe is outlined in our legal agreements and as such, we cannot investigate this transaction. We cap the timeframe for opening a buyer complaint to let sellers know that they should keep their postal information and other relevant transaction details for this period. We have found that in most cases 180 days is a sufficient timeframe for a buyer to notify PayPal that they have not received their item, or that there is a problem with the item that they have received. I understand that in your case there was a long distance involved but we would still need to stand by the timeframe.

Although we cannot investigate this transaction, your dispute will be noted on the seller's records. This may encourage your seller to communicate with you and try to reach a resolution in this matter. In some exceptional cases, we may be able to investigate the claim at a later time. This normally only occurs if we receive a large volume of complaints against the seller.

PayPal’s Buyer Protection offers an additional layer of security and does not affect your standard consumer rights. You also have the option of asking your country's Consumer Advice agency for further advice and information.

Rachael

Login to Me Too

LABCH
New Community Member

Hello,

In my case I bought a service of art exhibition from a company on 1st August 2016.

The exhibition would take place in NY on march 2017 (it would be already after the 180 days I've payed).

However the exhibition would be in a bad place and lateron the seller decided to cancelled it. I talked to the seller, he offered another one in Basel (CH), in June instead. But again the exhibition was cancelled. So a requested my money back and he declined to refund it.

What can I do?

This seller is not honest at all.

How to prevent other to face the same situation?

It's a big amount (700€)!

@PayPal_Rachael wrote:

Hi jb1996,

Welcome to the community forum.

I am afraid if it has been more than 180 days since you made the payment we wouldn't be able to look into this issue. This timeframe is outlined in our legal agreements and as such, we cannot investigate this transaction. We cap the timeframe for opening a buyer complaint to let sellers know that they should keep their postal information and other relevant transaction details for this period. We have found that in most cases 180 days is a sufficient timeframe for a buyer to notify PayPal that they have not received their item, or that there is a problem with the item that they have received. I understand that in your case there was a long distance involved but we would still need to stand by the timeframe.

Although we cannot investigate this transaction, your dispute will be noted on the seller's records. This may encourage your seller to communicate with you and try to reach a resolution in this matter. In some exceptional cases, we may be able to investigate the claim at a later time. This normally only occurs if we receive a large volume of complaints against the seller.

PayPal’s Buyer Protection offers an additional layer of security and does not affect your standard consumer rights. You also have the option of asking your country's Consumer Advice agency for further advice and information.

Rachael

Best regards,

LABCH 

Login to Me Too

therat
Contributor
Contributor
Although we cannot investigate this transaction, your dispute will be noted on the seller's records. This may encourage your seller to communicate with you and try to reach a resolution in this matter. 

Does this mean that the seller at least gets an email copy of the dispute details -- even though the dispute is automatically closed immediately by PayPal because it is more than 180 days since the payment? Or are you saying that the possibility that someone may (unknown to the seller) try to open a dispute >180 days after a payment may act as a deterrent to poor practices? If the latter, not really any good.

Login to Me Too

Trevorsparkes
Contributor
Contributor
That’s weird because someone has put in a resolution case against me and it’s over a year old. I feel I have no chance of winning this case as it’s been so long. How can PayPal suddenly put a case against me after 1 year.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Trevorsparkes

Paypal can't, but if a buyer filed a dispute via their card issuer for eg then paypal have no say in that.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Trevorsparkes
Contributor
Contributor
They have and with held my money. How do I go about contesting this. Thank you.
Login to Me Too

babyjelz
New Community Member
Hello, My case is about authenticity issue. I purchased a belt that was marked as authentic by the seller last year in June. I received it, kept it unused, until I finally found an authenticator who gave me the bad news today that the item is in fact not authentic. I should have done my part in checking the item’s authenticity. I buy and sell items too but I only sell items I personally purchased at the boutique. I am bummed 😔
Login to Me Too

Kairu22
Contributor
Contributor

"In some exceptional cases, we may be able to investigate the claim at a later time. This normally only occurs if we receive a large volume of complaints against the seller."

How can we dispute a company that has had many disputes against it?  I'm trying to file a dispute against Tokyo Treat whom I've seen many negative reviews of experiences like mine where they refused to give a refund and it had to be disputed.  I made the mistake of trusting them and not investigating why my products hadn't shipped in 6 months.  It took me that long because it was coming from Asia and with Covid and Chinese New Year impeding shipping, I was trying to trust they were doing their job and it was just being delayed.  Sadly now I'm stuck unable to dispute and get my $350 back.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@jb1996

Not sure why the seller should miss out just because you won't pay for the customs charge of importing the item into your country??

Anyway you can't open a dispute post 180 days, all you can do is hope the seller voluntarily refunds you when the item arrives.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.