Received wrong item and refund depends on shipping it back

TheMattMan076
New Community Member

I bought a item online and after a few weeks received the wrong item in the mail. It was supposed to be a rather large outdoor cage for a house cat and received some sort of 10"x12" furry bed or hat. I went to resolution center to ask for a refund and they have decided that I can receive a refund, but I have to send item back (to china) and give a tracking number. I don't understand why I should have to pay shipping back for item that was the wrong item to receive the refund. I think they should give me a refund and a return shipping label if they want this item back. Its like its some sort of scam in that they hope you won't go through the steps and they just pocket the money. I would have to spend half my refund to send this thing back to China. Who do I talk to about getting my full refund?

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

mic1499
New Community Member

I have the exact same problem and PayPal is doing nothing to help.  I call and speak to agents, after waiting at least 10 min., and they

promise to look into the problem.  I know this is a scam and PayPal does not seem to be looking into this company.  I am so frustrated.

Login to Me Too

Mary0728
Contributor
Contributor
I too have had same problem...cheap item compared to what they were supposed to be selling. China! Agreed refund...sent tracking number....their emails no longer exist! Keep going round and round in Paypal but told to contact seller first. Bit impossible since email addresses do not exist including the one on Paypal. Paypal chat is frustrating. They can't find the transaction even although its right there among my transactions. Only a month ago ...not as if they have to trawl through 1000's. Its maddening....getting nowhere fast!
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Mary0728 

@TheMattMan076 

@mic1499 

Paypal state this in their buyer protection policy >>

IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal Buyer Protection does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur.

Although they will compensate you for some of the cost if you have activated this at some point before you made that transaction.
https://www.paypal.com/us/smarthelp/article/FAQ3544

You also have the option to do a chargeback via your card issuer instead of a Paypal dispute if you funded your Paypal payment via a credit card.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

sss5358
New Community Member

I too have run into something like this. Received a cheap piece of junk instead of the item I ordered. The seller offer is to return it to Hong Kong.  I pay the shipping.  It costs more to ship it back than the original item costs. An obvious scam, but Paypal is not doing anything about it.  I will try for a charge back on my credit card and see what happens.  

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.