Received invoice from one seller which I didn't make any purchase. Is it a scam?

MichaelCHK
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all. I received a notification from PayPal that someone sent me an invoice to make a payment of USD 500 for purchasing a anti virus software which I didn't make. Could I just leave it like that with out paying or how do I cancel or report this?

Login to Me Too
815 REPLIES 815

RLHollywood
New Community Member

I received this same email. Was PayPal breached? Was I hacked? This is highly unusual.

Login to Me Too

Redhead298
Contributor
Contributor
Fake invoices , can’t delete. Invoice no longer available but still shows on my account.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Redhead298 

Try archiving the invoice. 

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Redhead298
Contributor
Contributor

Archiving did not work. Still showing up. 

Login to Me Too

JamieRI
New Community Member

Any fix for this? I have the same fake invoice, with details "not available" 

Login to Me Too

garawolfy
Contributor
Contributor

I received an invoice email from Paypal from the Bitcoin Exchange.  I've never heard of this place, but it seems as if the email is legitimately from Paypal.  I forwarded it to phishing@paypal.com to be sure.  I don't see the actual charge or the invoice in my paypal account, but is there anything else I can do to make sure this request doesn't go through? 

Login to Me Too

PayPal_RebeccaN

Hey @garawolfy

Thank you for posting and welcome to the PayPal Community Forum! 

From your post, I understand you have received a money request or invoice and you would like some clarity with this. If you believe an email or invoice is fake, don’t click on any links; please forward them to us. You mentioned you have already forwarded this to the correct email address, thank you for this.  You wouldn't be charged if you didn’t purchase the item in question. 

In some cases, you can cancel a received invoice. However, if you can’t, we ask that you disregard the invoice and forward the email you received to us. PayPal is working on deleting invoices that were created by bad actors.

For more information on spotting a spoof email, see: How do I spot and report a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website?

I hope this can help.

Rebecca

If this post or any other was helpful, please enrich the community by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.

Login to Me Too

whidbeyred
New Community Member

Same thing happened to me.  Mine looks VERY official and comes from [removed]... but upon further inspection, it comes from [removed]

Login to Me Too

Moomee1
New Community Member

I received an invoice and the sender seemed legit, but it was directed to John [removed] . So I opened the link and it's PayPal.com, and safari mobile showed it had a certificate. When I open the link after logging in, and then try to cancel the invoice, I get an error saying it's the wrong primary account. I'm not sure what to do with it.

Login to Me Too

dbenton83
New Community Member

I received a bizarre invoice lately for £600 for "Amazon Gift Cards"

This has never happened before.

Obviously, I didn't buy them and nor am I invoicing someone else for them

Naturally, I have changed my password and made sure that all my security measures are intact.

I want to know how I can delete/cancel this invoice. Because when I do that it says:

"You can't cancel the invoice from this account

Looks like this isn't the primary PayPal account for the invoice. You can only cancel it from the account that was billed."

Which is both confusing and unhelpful.

I have checked, and I do not have any invoices created. I want to be clear that money isn't going to leave my Paypal account because I definitely didn't buy these gift cards.

Some help, please?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.