Received invoice from company I’ve never purchased anything from

Acg75
Contributor
Contributor
I received an email from PayPal showing an invoice from a company I’ve never hear of or purchased anything from , have tried contacting PayPal to ensure it doesn’t go through but can’t seem to since the transaction hasn’t gone through my card . Is it just an invoice or could the amount go through?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Acg75 

Sounds like a scam money request or invoice.

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out those requests hoping some email addresses are linked to paypal accounts and the unsuspecting recipient 'may' pay them not realising they are scams OR the scammers put phone numbers in the ''notes'' section so that as its a genuine paypal invoice you think the phone number is real and call it.

If you do call that number to query the transaction or cancel it they tell you that you need to pay a fee (sent not using Paypal) for them to be able to cancel the payment for you....that is the scam as they know it's unlikely you will click to pay it. 

If there is a cancel option then cancel it, if not ignore it and hopefully it should time out at 30 days.

As long as you don't click to pay it then no money would be transferred.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Acg75 

Sounds like a scam money request or invoice.

Scammers harvest email addresses and send out those requests hoping some email addresses are linked to paypal accounts and the unsuspecting recipient 'may' pay them not realising they are scams OR the scammers put phone numbers in the ''notes'' section so that as its a genuine paypal invoice you think the phone number is real and call it.

If you do call that number to query the transaction or cancel it they tell you that you need to pay a fee (sent not using Paypal) for them to be able to cancel the payment for you....that is the scam as they know it's unlikely you will click to pay it. 

If there is a cancel option then cancel it, if not ignore it and hopefully it should time out at 30 days.

As long as you don't click to pay it then no money would be transferred.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.