Received an invoice and I have no idea what it's for

KiritoFL
Contributor
Contributor

I received a random invoice today for something that I supposedly ordered, and says payment due tomorrow 5/11. I don't see any cancel, reject, or mark as spam buttons on the invoice screen, should I be worried that funds might be automatically withdrawn from any of my payment sources? What can I do to get this fake invoice removed from my account?

Login to Me Too
18 REPLIES 18

ShelleyAnneC

me too! I think I might have mentioned the FBI!!!

Login to Me Too

ShelleyAnneC

Thank you! I found it and canceled the fake invoice.

Login to Me Too

AlexandrosTsak
Contributor
Contributor

I got the exact same thing today, 2 different invoices from different mails with the exact same message. The amount is 499$ and it says something about bitcoins which I have nothing to do with.

My problem is there is a big fat blue "Pay" button waiting to be clicked even accidentally, but there is no cancel button and most importantly now way to flag this as fraud or block the mail.

How is paypal even going to stop them if nobody can report them?

I just saw that you can cancel an invoice in the activity tab, thank you to the person who gave us the way, BUT if there is a "pay button" anywhere then there should be a cancel button too right next to it.

We need a cancel button and a block button and most importantly a report button!

Login to Me Too

The_Malc
New Community Member
Yeh I agree being able to cancel and report should be easier to find but the scary thing is how did they know we have papal accounts ? There must have been a data leak somewhere from PayPals system?
Login to Me Too

pigtracks

My guess is that the fraudster is using a list of known good e-mail addresses.  My e-mail address is my PayPal ID, and that's all that good ol' Trevor needed to create an invoice from his fraudster PayPal account.  When I started cancelling the invoice, there is no provision for reporting the invoice as a fraud attempt.  Any note about the cancellation is just a note to the fraudster who created the invoice.

Login to Me Too

Kwalker50
New Community Member

I just got that same thing today, but it was $599!  I sent it to the Feds and then deleted it.

Login to Me Too

Natmrk
New Community Member

I got the same thing, it was addressed to "Chuck [removed]" in the email. That isn't my name. I canceled the invoice and wrote FAKE INVOICE - DO NOT PAY!

Hopefully, PayPal will flag this and find a way to remove it from our accounts.

Login to Me Too

vice350z
Contributor
Contributor

Same here...got an email for an invoice from an EMily for 599.99 for a 1700 paypal credit payment for Crypto. I don't do crypto...invoice shows up as not found now although it still shows the invoice on my dashboarrd.

Login to Me Too

rclatter

I got the same - there's a "cancel" option on the activity page link to the invoice - but it looks like that would send an email to the scammer - which just gives them more info for further phishing attempts - there really needs to be a report/delete button that doesn't confirm to the scammer that the email address they used is a valid paypal account.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.