Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: No Mobile Phone

Options
Go to solution
AlanM1
Contributor
Posted on

Yep, a sad assumption that EVERYONE has access to or even wants to be encumbered by the cost and aggravation of owning a mobile phone. And even more ridiculous to attribute it to security. And yes, I know that people are now clinically addicted to their mobile phones and think that those without them are the weirdos... fair enough.. perhaps we're just old and grumpy and once our generation have died out then the infinite vertical scrolling hordes can clog the pavements quite happily wrapped in the security of whatever two-factor authentication the government insist on next.

At least it'll put an end to my frivolous impulse purchases!

🙂

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

Options
Go to solution
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@AlanM1 

You do know that you can 'text' 'message' 'whatapp' and email on a phone? You don't have to speak on one.

And my point about the internet v phone was the fact you are so against them because you personally don't want to use one when the rest of us find them immensely useful just like you find the internet useful.

BUT you can't use the internet when you are stuck in a country road broken down without any phone can you.

And how old do you think i am? I am probably older that you  🤣

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25

Options
Go to solution
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@AlanM1 

You don't think you need a phone yet you use the internet !!!!

Surely if a phone is not useful then the internet is not as well.

I would not leave my house without my phone, i broke down in a remote area late at night once and was so glad i had my phone with me.

Its helped in no end of 'situations' for friends and family.

Not sure why anyone would consider NOT having one to be honest with you.

You do not have to use it to scroll social media believe it or not that is not compulsory.

But it is very good for security reasons. 

Advice is voluntary.

Options
Go to solution
AlanM1
Contributor

@kernowlass 

You don't think you need a phone yet you use the internet !!!!

Surely if a phone is not useful then the internet is not as well.

I appreciate your enthusiasm but don't really see the connection? If a phone is not useful then neither is the internet? Unfortunately I'm old enough to have seen the arrival of 'mobile' telephones.. they allowed people to have conversations without being tied to the home phone. And the internet had arrived as well, which led to internet banking among other things. And that's how they stayed for most of the 80's.. 90's.. 00's...where are we now.. 2020... haha.. yes, I forget - of course they're not telephones any more, they're personal computers that you can carry around AND use the internet on.

Happily I've maintained the distinction between the two mediums. I have a Spasmodic Dysphonia which puts me off trying to talk to people on telephones - I'm not after sympathy by the way, but when the person at the other end of a telephone struggles to understand you or keeps asking you to repeat yourself it does put you off using them. So Internet Banking.. great idea! Telephones.. boo! Can I use the internet.. yes! Do I have use for a phone? No! Does not having a phone mean I can't use the internet? No!

Anyway... I do agree that it is unusual for people NOT to have a mobile phone, honestly, but this two-factor authentication thing is going to affect a lot of people like me. As for additional security - I've found a website that publishes mobile phone numbers that you can use to receive SMS Online. It's quite interesting (or shocking?!) to see a running log of people receiving their authentication codes with "You are retrieving your password. 767649 is your verification code, DO NOT tell anyone or your account might be stolen."

But I guess it's an option!

Solved

Options
Go to solution
kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor

@AlanM1 

You do know that you can 'text' 'message' 'whatapp' and email on a phone? You don't have to speak on one.

And my point about the internet v phone was the fact you are so against them because you personally don't want to use one when the rest of us find them immensely useful just like you find the internet useful.

BUT you can't use the internet when you are stuck in a country road broken down without any phone can you.

And how old do you think i am? I am probably older that you  🤣

Advice is voluntary.

View solution in original post

Options
Go to solution
NoMobile
Contributor

WHY does the topic say the problem has been SOLVED

It most definitely and very clearly has NOT been SOLVED.

Please could someone with authority from PAYPAL provide a genuine SOLUTION.

Options
Go to solution
manofmull
Contributor

I'm looking for an answer about not having a mobile phone.

I won't see 70 again, don't have a mobile and have no intention of getting one.

What does this mean? i.e. will my Paypal account be closed?

Anyone have an answer?

Options
Go to solution
orgasmictomato
Contributor

YES, I agree totally, my Paypal acct does not allow me to log in and that means - NO MORE BUSINESS for Paypal from me as I have been a customer for more than a decade and tens of thousands of dollars have past through my acct for there profit...... and I do not have a mobile as I am recluse and deaf and I will not be bullied into purchasing something I have no use for..... BTW    I  was writing code for the computers back before any of you had internet..... Dial up 1985 with Apple IIe .... I am 72 years young......
Jim

Options
Go to solution
Moonstar3
Contributor

How sad, wrong and false that this topic is marked Solved when no solution whatever has yet been shown here.

I hope someone able at PayPal comes along here to remove that untrue Solved signage.

Options
Go to solution
dntigerp
Contributor

To the twits married to ther cell phones. You are missing the thrust of the blocked logins. I have no objection to those who want to use there devices.

What about hos like me who live in an area with decent internet service but horrid to non existent cell service. I have no reliable cell service in my house, at my work and numerious points  in between. 3G + was a screwup in terms of service reliability. Alternatives not using cell should be available. cells are hackable, can be lost, but the biggest issue is unreliable, poor or no service.

Options
Go to solution
dntigerp
Contributor

no solution. Just pandering to the pro-cell phone crowd

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.