No Mobile Phone

Choreo
New Community Member

I keep getting emails from PayPal asking me to add/verify my Mobile Phone Number (sending me a code). I do not own a Mobile Phone. I have had the same land-line phone number for over 45 years, but I guess they "assume" that everyone now has a digital ball & chain connected to them.

Do I really need to go out and buy a mobile phone and sign a service contract to have a PayPal account now???

Login to Me Too
139 REPLIES 139

gfml
Contributor
Contributor

Prepayment phones and pay-as-you-go aren't cheap either in Canada. 

gfml 

Login to Me Too

europe99
Contributor
Contributor

Well, I am soon quitting PayPal, it seems, as I have no mobile phone.

I have a land-line phone and internet (Mac) : that is apparently not enough for PayPal.

Login to Me Too

europe99
Contributor
Contributor

Btw, I have been on eBay for 23 years, and PayPal since it started.

These new  absurd verifications (not to mention you only get bots to "talk to) are making the whole shopping extremely inconvenient:

I guess this is the end of shopping via  PayPal/eBay for me .

Also, why on earth have PayPal reduced their customer service now? All reports are that online shopping is up due to covid-19.....and they let staff go??

Insane.

Login to Me Too

dorsetjohn
Contributor
Contributor

Although I use a mobile and usually have it with me when I'm out and about like you , the major problem with PayPal's new verification system is that it is assuming EVERYONE has a decent mobile signal when AT HOME. I don't, so I'd be interested to know how on earth I'm going to get access to my account. PayPal obviously haven't thought this through and sadly they are not the only ones - Principality Building Society is another one.  Their answer is "phone up on a landline". What a laugh !! Their automated phone answering system often tells you you've selected the wrong option, (even though you haven't), and then promptly cuts you off !!     

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@dorsetjohn 

i have poor signal where i am so i use a phone with wifi calling on it.

No problem with signal since.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

ox0
Contributor
Contributor

If you have a vpn then just sign in from outside Europe.

Login to Me Too

dntigerp
Contributor
Contributor

not a fix-if you can only use the phone with internet service why have it ?

Login to Me Too

gfml
Contributor
Contributor

Yet more expense to buy a phone with wifi on it just to be able to use PayPal! Maybe whoever it is who owns PayPal is a millionaire or a billionaire, but most of the rest of us aren't. 

gfml 

Login to Me Too

Aurymn
Contributor
Contributor

Here in Canada, unlike everywhere else that has available and inexpensive payment plans, Canadians are still being required to pay a premium for the same service that others only have to pay nickels and dimes to keep their service.
The only reason I could see that requires you to use a cell phone is because these days most payment plans and purchases require a credit card. It is the only reason why I think PayPal would require a cell phone for authentication is to check if you have a viable credit card number. If that is so, why would PayPal require you to have a credit card, when you can link PayPal to your bank account as a legitimate online basis? Unless of course, they don't trust people to have the necessary funds in their account for their processing fees.
If that is the case, the PayPal should be up front with wanting people to have cell phones and not be shady.

Login to Me Too

NoMobile
Contributor
Contributor

I too cannot use a mobile from home and only have a landline - so if the code cannot be sent via landline then PayPal will lose my custom also. This is sad but indicative of the assumption that ALL people have smartphones nowadays. I couldn't prove I existed without a smartphone when registering for Universal Credit, my passport, driving licence, Nat Ins no were all unnacceptable apparently. If it can't be resolved then goodbye PayPal.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.