Paypal dispute response - correct?

backupterry
Contributor
Contributor

Hi all,

I took out a subscription with a web based service that offered a 7-day free trial. As soon as I entered my payment information my account was charged (i.e. on day 0 for the "free" trail), and even after cancelling the subscription instantly I was not given a refund after requesting one.

I raised a dispute with paypal which was refused for not providing a billing agreement. I did not receive a billing agreement from the company, I sent screenshots of their advertisement of a free trial as well as the confirmation of my cancellation but the claim was refused. After appealing that and once again explaining that my issue was not that I cancelled a subscription and was still charged - it was that I did not receive the free trial period advertised. My appeal was closed for the exact same reason.

I felt let down by the dispute process, I did not feel as if the basis for my dispute was acknowledged or understood by PayPal, but also because I was only given one chance to provide additional information before the dispute was closed which I find unacceptable, if someone has not understood or cannot provide what has been asked I do not think the case should be instantly closed.

I spoke to an advisor on the phone who after some time understood the basis of my dispute, claimed this was not something paypal are able to help with, and that "buyer protection" (which I mistakenly thought was paypal protecting consumers against unjust companies) does not come into play here.

I just wanted to get a second opinion from the community, is this something paypal should be helping with and I should raise a complaint regarding, or is what I've been told correct and there is nothing more they can do?

Thanks

Login to Me Too
4 REPLIES 4

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@backupterry 

If there was a billing agreement set up (even if incorrectly) via the website then paypal would have to pay them when they requested the funds.

The fact there was a billing agreement is telling paypal to pay it for you.

The fact that the company did not give you your free trial is between you and the company to be honest.

You can cancel the billing agreement anytime you wish and then paypal won't pay it anymore.

If the company was UK then you have the option of a small claims court action?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

backupterry
Contributor
Contributor

I see your viewpoint but I thought the whole point of PayPal's buyer protection is protect against being missold? Whether that's physical or virtual. Again, that may be a misunderstanding on my part

To quote the PayPal website

"If an item doesn’t arrive or is significantly not as described, we will help buyers get a full refund."

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@backupterry 

If you think that it qualifies as SNAD then appeal?

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

backupterry
Contributor
Contributor

I did, my appeal was rejected for the same reason my dispute was rejected. I explained after the billing agreement was requested that this was not relevant due to the advertisement of a free trial but just got the below copy & paste response without any further oppertunity for conversation. I did include attachments of proof of cancellation of the trial which are timestamped as being mere minutes after the confirmation from the subscription.

I don't necessarily have a problem with them rejecting my dispute, my problem stems from the fact it does not feel like my complaint has been understood, that's why I've come here to see what people think and whether I should take this further.

We've reviewed the transaction(s) and are refusing your claim(s). This decision was made because the dispute was submitted with insufficient information/documentation to support the claim and we were unable to obtain the required information/documentation after requesting it from you.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.