Paypal asking for USPS intranet tracking report as proof for online scam

Naveensmb
Contributor
Contributor

I placed an online order for bike with Hua Feng Trading Inc on June 20th, there was no delivery date confirmed by seller nor response to mail.

Raised dispute with Paypal, they updated a USPS tracking # provided by seller and closed the dispute in favor of seller. 

Re-opened the dispute with paypal, they asked to get USPS intranet tracking report to prove I have not received the shipment. USPS is not agreeing to provide this report stating it's cannot provide to public. Upon request, they provided photo on mobile showing the tracking # and destination address which was different then my residence.

Paypal says cannot accept photo, instead will need complete report knowing the fact it cannot be obtained by public.

Finally reported the issue to my credit card company, they raised dispute against Paypal & have credited back the money.

Why cannot Paypal ask the seller to provide USPS tracking report to prove it shipped to right address instead of asking the end customer/retailer like me to prove I have not received the shipment. Is Paypal really serious in protecting the customers against fraudsters or favoring the dubious sellers ? 

Just posting my experience so that it can benefit others before making transactions with these fraud sellers & how loopholes in Paypal rules/policies is used by some shady companies to cheat customers.

Login to Me Too
31 REPLIES 31

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

I had a similar but not identical experience. The scammers in my case does send me a package to my correct address, but not the RC helicopter I'd ordered by a couple of masks (a sick joke was my first reaction, but probably becasue it was cheap to ship). So I file a "received item substantially different" dispute. So at first the scammer offered a partial refund and I keep the masks (effectively paying over $10 for them), I of course refused, on principle as well as on economical considerations. Then they offered full refund with stipulation of returning the worthless items; now as one can imagine, it cost a lot more to send from US to Hong Kong than the other way around, add on top of that the trouble and risk I'll be taking sending them back I refused that too, and started a chat here to talk (so to speak) to a live agent. Well, long story short, after a few go arounds I finally had a rep that gave me usable information; file a complaint at www.ic3.gov, then capture your submission (you get a chance to do that at the end) and upload along with photos of received package. Right after that my case was resolved in my favor.

The return address in Hong Kong they gave turned out to be bogus. Even if I had dcided to return the crap, the case would eventually time out and I'd get nothing back. I would not use PayPal to buy anything from unknown sellers from now on, especially overseas.

Login to Me Too

Ridiculicious

What if you didn't receive the package at all and got a fake tracking number? Is that still how you file an online scam?

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Yes, you can file any online scam to the FBI thru www.ic3.gov. They have nothing to do with PayPal. Thje trick to getting your money back is to convince a rep to help you out. I was lucky I guess, I explained my sitution to at least 3 reps before one decided to side with me and told me to file with the FBI and upload prove of submission. I urge everyone to file the complaints even if PayPal do not promise action. We want to get the scammers out of business.

Login to Me Too

Ridiculicious

Also, that site you posted is a dead link.

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Don't include the comma at the end

www.ic3.gov

Login to Me Too

rhonda53

My story exactly!!!!!  All a scam!  Paypal is not honoring their customers at all 😞

Login to Me Too

MOVEitGIRL
Contributor
Contributor
I'm going through the SAME situation! The seller got tech and scammer savy because the obtained a tracking number that was the same city I live in but I never received the package. PayPal needs to start changing their rules or whatever because they can get sued if this happens to enough customers. I've seen this happening a lot. I'm thinking of writing a police report and maybe the police can find who is doing this major fraud.
Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

This is a large scale scam. How long will PayPal remain on the sidelines when these unscrupulous scumbags are making huge sums of money off of PayPal's loophole. Victims can amke the case that PayPal must be aware of the various schemes (I for one had "chatted" with at least 3 reps on my own case, and there are dozens more I had read here) by now. If PayPal continues to let this go on unabated, I think they are crimianlly liable (you lawyers out there can chime in).

Login to Me Too

perplexed_user
Frequent Contributor
Frequent Contributor

Hey people who have been victimized. Here's a link to suggest a TV station to do a story on the scam and PP's complicity.

https://ktla.com/about-ktla/contact-us/submit-news-tips-and-story-ideas/

It's KTLA in Los Angeles. Google the link if PP deletes it.

Login to Me Too

kdawgg75

Same here... Hey Paypal I got news for you.. There are other providers and I will not have any business with you moving forward. You're asking me to provide a document that the post office doesn't provide me with. How can I prove they delivered to the wrong address.. I have no way to prove I didn't receive my purchase and If you tell me that the seller provide proof that this package was delivered to MY DOOR (not another door) why can't you prove it? I'm done with this product. Paypal will end up with no customers if they keep treating their loyal users like crap.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.