Paypal ask me to return the item to seller at my own cost, but the cost exceeds the refund value

nikolacm
Contributor
Contributor

Ordered the item from a facebook ad. Paid with Paypal. Later on I found out that the seller fooled many buyers like me and sent the item which looked nothing like the item he was advertising, and of a lot less value. I tried to cancel my order but one of the seller's e-mails was non existent, or on the other (provided by paypal) he did not reply to my emails. After some time I also received the item that was nothing like the one advertised and of maximum third of the value I paid. I opened a dispute in the Paypal resolution center. 

Now Paypal is asking me to return the item to the seller at my own cost to China to receive the refund!! The cost of returning the item from my country to China is more than the refund value, and a lot more than the item is actually worth!!! Paypal gives me only two options to respond to this claim. One is to cancel the claim and the other is to return the item and provide tracking number. 

Since this seller is obviously committing fraud in this elaborate scheme, he is counting not sending the item back, and Paypal is of no help, and is obviously on the side of the seller for who they must have numerous complaints. Plus the seller has provided the address to return the item in Chinese!!! No one here can read Chinese and the post office does not know exactly where to send it! In any case I am loosing money for sure, whether I return the item at my own cost or don't return the item and don't get the refund.

Is there any chance I can get my refund without returning the item? I am prepared to provide any evidence that the seller is a fraud and that the item he sent me has nothing to do with the item he advertised. 

Please help.

Login to Me Too
34 REPLIES 34

SD47
Contributor
Contributor
Same issue. PayPal tells me to return the item that was 1. The wrong item. 2. Cheap and fraudulently represented to China at MY expense! This would cost more than the piece of junk they sent. Also, they misrepresented where the item was being sent from. So unhappy with Paypal at the moment. Can’t seem to get a response from them or an answer to my call!!
Login to Me Too

MariaLu88
Contributor
Contributor
SD47 did you end up getting any help on the issue?
Login to Me Too

GBfarmer
Contributor
Contributor

I have had the same response from PayPal after being scammed buying a remote control aircraft from China ... see pictures below.

PayPal have just responded to my dispute by asking me to send the toy back ... this is all part of the seller's scam knowing the cost to do so is more than the refund.   Based on their bad will shown in this transaction, how would I ever believe that the seller (Cerxin/Tinyou) would even acknowledge receipt of the item?   I'm not going to pay for shipping on something that was consciously sent by the seller as a scam.   Since I've been scammed, I've found on other community group chats that this seller has done this many times to other buyers all around the world.

I will be ringing PayPal tomorrow to ask for the full refund as per previous correspondents advice.   I hope PayPal will ban these scam sellers from their platform in the future.

This is the remote control aircraft I bought ...This is the remote control aircraft I bought ...Cerxin website - RC Aircraft 02b.jpgThis is the child's toy that was shipped...This is the child's toy that was shipped...This is the child's toy that was shipped...This is the child's toy that was shipped...

Login to Me Too

MariaLu88
Contributor
Contributor
So upset! Same exact thing just happened to me. Not only is the item not as described it’s also damaged. There’s scratches, glue, and some green color on it. I’ve contacted PayPal and they have told me to do the same thing. Send the item back to get the refund. Yet the address is in Chinese and it costs me more to send it back. It’s obvious this place is a scam, but I’m more upset with PayPal that they are backing them up.
Login to Me Too

Toffeenose
Contributor
Contributor

I have been a victim of essentially the same scam - which is essentially a modified ‘bait and switch’ manoeuvre. PayPal needs to recognize this widespread scamming tactic, immediately refund the full amount, and blacklist the offending sellers! I can’t believe that PayPal managers are so inept!!!

Login to Me Too

Lemloo61
Contributor
Contributor
Well I thought the issue was resolved when they refunded my money however they've reverse their decision and claimed that the transaction is now valid!
Login to Me Too

Tom897
Contributor
Contributor
I have found that this is happening extensively I posted my frustration on my Facebook page and was shocked to find out how often this is happening PayPal is absolutely complicit in this theft The first time it happened I returned the item to the address it was shipped from ( a total piece of crap that had no relationship to what was advertised) and I was told sorry you didn’t return it to the address the seller requested ( in China ) The cost of which exceeded the cost of the item if I did it with tracking and insurance as required PayPal was useless in helping to resolve the issue. Even after I sent detailed pictures and descriptions They even had the nerve to tell me they get fees from the sellers and its only fair to require that buyers return the item they didn’t like!! I could care less about liking it, It wasn’t what I ordered and it was done by the seller intentionally PayPal needs to be dealt with by the government for helping criminals steel from its users I am reaching out to my Senator to find out who should be dealing with this
Login to Me Too

Loislane1235
New Community Member
I'm dealing with this issue now I'm canceling my PayPal account I'm losing money because these vendors send me out fake items and I can't get my money back from PayPal at all paypal does not protect the buyer at all Asian companies are robbing us blind
Login to Me Too

Mellrocks
Contributor
Contributor
I had this same issue! PayPal issued me a credit, but they denied my case, because I did not provide a tracking number. I do not want the scammy seller to get the money, while PayPal has to take the hit. This seller has done this to numerous people, and it’s not right!
Login to Me Too

Edenian
Contributor
Contributor
Same thing is happening to me. I asked for a partial refund and paypal want me to send the item back to China for a partial refund and shipping cost 4x more than I paid for. I paid for an item that was $3.91 and when it arrived it was severely damaged so I asked for a $3 partial refund. Shipping the item with tracking will cost well over $10 from Canada to China. A lesson learned to be ware of Aliexpress.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.