Payment to Coinbase Global, Inc

kibblemom
Contributor
Contributor

I received an email titled "You've sent a payment" which included the statement: "Your Payment was sent to Coinbase Global in exchange for 0.014 Bitcoin. Thank You for using PayPal to complete your purchase of $649.99. Please note that the transaction may take up to 72 hours to reflect on your bank statement." It listed PayPal Support at: [Removed. Phone #s not permitted]which is not in the typical US format and does not correspond to the number on the PayPal site, so I'm thinking this is a scam. There is nothing listed as recent or pending in my PayPal account corresponding to this purchase, which I definitely did not make. The return address is a gmail account. Has anyone else received something like this and do I need to be concerned for my PayPal account? There are no links to click and I obviously haven't called the phone number.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kibblemom 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK OR ANY PHONE NUMBER.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

Also if they ask you to call the number in the email then it would be fake paypal agents trying to scam you for money to 'fix' something. 

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email / download an attachment OR phone them on a number in an email, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@kibblemom 

If its a spoof then NEVER USE ANY LINK OR ANY PHONE NUMBER.

Firstly if the email/text addressed you as ''Dear Member'' / ''Customer'' / ''Client'' OR your ''email address'' then that confirms its a spoof as paypal would address you by your full name eg Dear John Smith.

Secondly if there was a link OR attachment in that email/text to ''cancel'' any transaction or ''confirm'' any details then again it would be a spoof.

Also if they ask you to call the number in the email then it would be fake paypal agents trying to scam you for money to 'fix' something. 

If there was a problem with your account Paypal would not ask you to click on an unsafe link in an email / download an attachment OR phone them on a number in an email, they would direct you to log in normally and go to the resolution or the message centre for more information.

More info here >>
https://www.paypal.com/us/selfhelp/article/how-to-spot-fake-emails-faq2340/2
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/security/suspicious-activity

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Frankie1977
I responded to the email saying I never authorized this. Great. PayPal hasn’t responded.
Login to Me Too

Nick315
New Community Member
Also, try to block this email if possible & block phone number too I hope PayPal works to track down this individual and press fraud charges or refers them to the FBI Fraud division
Login to Me Too

Mandrake7
New Community Member

You've sent a payment of $698.68 USD to COINBASE CORPORATION

It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your statement.

Transaction ID
XR2701IO10542Q

Issues with this transaction?
If you have any questions about your order please contact us within 24hr by calling at [Removed. Pho...

Description Unit price Qty Amount
Ethereum (ETH)$685.470.224$685.47 USD
Other Taxes & Transaction Fees$7.560.002$7.56 USD
Subtotal$693.03 USD
Tax$5.65 USD
Total$698.68 USD

Queries regarding this transaction?
If you have any queries about your order feel free to contact us within 24hr at [Removed. Phone #s n...

Login to Me Too

bcoving
Contributor
Contributor

I've received the same email and the drained my account with not activity record. When I contacted PayPal, they said:

I can assure you, your account is safe and secured.
I hope this information clarifies your concern.
and this:
I have checked the account and there was no charge for 819.54 USD. may I know if you checked your card statement ?
Or may I know if you are referring to any other payment ?

Feel free to reply whenever you're ready and we'll reply as soon as we can.
Thank you for contacting PayPal. You may close the conversation by selecting End Message.

Nope. It's not. I have NO MONEY in my account after receiving the email from Coinbase. 
Login to Me Too

PayPal_Adam1

Hi @bcoving, thanks for posting in our Community. It sounds like you received a phishing attempt from someone trying to get your information. If you log directly into your PayPal account, you'll be able to see any completed transactions, and dispute them if necessary. There's no way to remove a transaction record from your PayPal account history, so you'll be able to see all transactions for the past 2 years in your Activity tab. I hope that helps!

-Adam

Login to Me Too

Dingdangit
Contributor
Contributor

I got this same email and I forwarded it to 'phishing@paypal.com'. I hope paypal replies because I did not see this as activity in my PayPal account. I did not authorize this transaction. If PayPal does not respond i will be cancelling my account.

Login to Me Too

Frankie1977
This happened to me today. PayPal has yet to reply. I can’t afford for this to actually happen. I didn’t authorize $489 to coinbaseglobal.
Login to Me Too

mchristo75

Just got this email today. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.