Payment taken by Conde Nast

fizzle7
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone else been fleeced by Conde Nast for The New Yorker Magazine? I signed up for a 12 week subscription for £7.93 but they have taken £125.00 from my account without emailing me first as they said they would. I have cancelled but PayPal are disputing that it was unauthorised.

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

boatfreq
New Community Member

I was hit by a similar charge. I simply called the Conde Nast phone number listed on the paypal statement. The agent who picked up the phone looked up the transaction, found a subscription I didn't recognize, cancelled the subscription and refunded the charge. The whole process took about 2 minutes. Honestly, great customer service from Conde Nast.

Login to Me Too

temp20211021sr1
Contributor
Contributor

I found PayPal to be completely unhelpful until I told them I would never use PayPal again as a result.  Then they came up with a couple of ways to get this resolved.  I’ll get this resolved but I will never use PayPal again.

Login to Me Too

Safire_007
Contributor
Contributor
That happened to me too, but per the comments here I called the number and was able to cancel and receive a full refund. Hopefully they honor that and the refund goes through soon. I'll update accordingly if it doesn't. Thanks for posting, I was really confused when I first saw the charge on my account.
Login to Me Too

erwin0825

I got hit by an unauthorized transaction as well. I don't understand how this happened. Is there a security breach at Paypal? 

Login to Me Too

Caitlyn322
New Community Member
Yep! Just got a payment taken out but I think it was for Vogue as they are also Condé Nast. The thing is when I subscribed I specifically ticked the 1 year box, so this wouldn’t happen 🙄
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Caitlyn322 

Check if you had a subscription set up and cancel it.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Leeleesa
New Community Member
I currently have similar situation where I made an inquiry to magazineboutique.uk about renewing my Vanity Fair magazine subscription and I was debited US$39.97 by Conde Naste but no subscription renewal! I have contacted magazineboutique.uk about it 6 times and get an automated reply but have had two email responses from Dawn M and Carys T who are apparently unable to help me. Carys T denied that magazineboutique had anything to do with the debit because it was in US$ and directed me to Conde Naste International site which does not even mention Vanity Fair. But further investigation proves that if you try to subscribe to Vanity Fair in Australia it is always via magazineboutique.uk so she doesn’t know what she’s talking about. I am going to report a fraudulent transaction to my bank and to PayPal if they don’t resolve the issue within 24 hours. It’s been almost a month that Conde Naste debited my account. I don’t want this sort of hassle wasting my time.
Login to Me Too

Lukeydookie
No resolution from Conde Nast or PayPal over a 29.99 renewal charge that occurred after a previous cancellation. Opted to call both companies and close PayPal account. No one seemed to mind at all. Fortunately there are many payment services to choose from.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.