Payment taken by Conde Nast

fizzle7
Contributor
Contributor

Has anyone else been fleeced by Conde Nast for The New Yorker Magazine? I signed up for a 12 week subscription for £7.93 but they have taken £125.00 from my account without emailing me first as they said they would. I have cancelled but PayPal are disputing that it was unauthorised.

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

temp20211021sr1
Contributor
Contributor

My approach was to send them 25 emails each with a numerical reference so I could track the conversation.  I then followed-up on those that were at least promising until one finally resolved the problem.  You gotta ride their **bleep** and put up with the “I can’t find any itransaxtions based in the information you provided.”

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
17 REPLIES 17

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@fizzle7 

If it was a subscription you set up then as far as paypal are concerned you authorised the payment so any dispute for unauthorised would be closed.

Check if you had a subscription set up...

Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments''.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Marian17
Contributor
Contributor

Same happened to me. Just call them. 

I called and they agreed to reverse the charge they did on the card. I will see if it actually happens but the person I spoke with agreed to reverse the charge to the credit card 

Login to Me Too

Janine119
Contributor
Contributor
Do you have a telephone number to contact them on? Just had $200 taken from my account 😡😡 grrrrrrr
Login to Me Too
Solved

temp20211021sr1
Contributor
Contributor

My approach was to send them 25 emails each with a numerical reference so I could track the conversation.  I then followed-up on those that were at least promising until one finally resolved the problem.  You gotta ride their **bleep** and put up with the “I can’t find any itransaxtions based in the information you provided.”

Login to Me Too

Janine119
Contributor
Contributor
I called them today and was told that they would reverse the payment 😁👍 Thank everyone
Login to Me Too

JA46
Contributor
Contributor
Yes - the New Yorker definitely fooled us! I’m going to ask for refund as this was not clear to me that I would be charged this $.
Login to Me Too

mpaige67
Contributor
Contributor

Yes! It has happened to me twice! What a hassle! I have "cancelled" whatever it is they think I signed up for & it keeps happening anyway! So **bleep**!

Login to Me Too

alonzag
New Community Member
Just wanted to add to this that I was also charged $32 from this company for a Vanity Fair subscription I never ordered. In contact with the company now, so far all they’ve told me is that my subscription was “auto renewed” but I have never once in my life paid for/ received a charge for Vanity Fair. Hoping to get it refunded, I overdraft cause of this.
Login to Me Too

nagymate
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here, deduction without any reminder. Paypal does not do anything in this case, they are telling me that the transaction was legal. Pff. 
I have started communication on every digital channel with New Yorker magazine. E-mail and online forms.
Finally I have found out that if you go to newyorker.com » My account » Customer care, and there you cancel your full subscription before the trial period expires, the site tell you the amount of money what you will get as a refund! It's the full amount, fortunately. 
Here for now, I am waiting for the replies and the refund, but it is good news finally!

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.