PayPal popup appeared instead of redirecting to pay site

Kerrydm81
New Community Member
I tried to pay on a website using PayPal but instead of taking me to PayPal a popup appeared and asked for my cc info. Is that legit? Or was the website hacked? Why would PayPal ask for my cc info outside of PayPal when I have an account?
Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

PayPal_JonK

Hello @Kerrydm81

Welcome to the PayPal Community! I can certainly understand why you'd be concerned about a pop-up asking for your CC info. In this situation, I'm unable to say exactly if this is legitimate or not as there are merchants who accept PayPal while allowing users to pay directly with their CC info, not requiring your login info. However, I would still be wary of any site that says "pay with PayPal" and doesn't first ask for your login info. Normally, they'll ask for your login information first and present an option to "check out as a Guest" somewhere around that same area. If you feel a site is fake or fraudulent, I'd recommend forwarding that info to the email address at the bottom of this article: How do I spot a fake, fraudulent, or phishing PayPal email or website?

Good luck with this and future purchases!

- Jon K

If you find this or any other post was helpful, make our community better by giving kudos or accepting it as a solution.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.