PayPal not checking dispute proof

gchasapis
Contributor
Contributor

I opened a claim against a seller who mentions NL as country of location, sends items from China and asks for a return to UK. I live in NL, so shipping back to NL was acceptable, but shipping to UK is half the cost of the item! The same people have a site of fake reviews and similar websites with different locations for other countries. PayPal doesn't think it falls under the buyers' protection umbrella. Clear scams with proof and PayPal doesn't react to protect its customers.

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gchasapis 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

The best thing is to not buy from them in the first place, to recognise them -

1. No return address on the returns policy. The site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) but they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost often more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number. if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. Rarely company address information.
4. Great pictures of items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.
5. Fake reviews.
6. Google and you can often see previous company names as they change them once enough claims roll in and Paypal stop them using their services and start over.
7. Send fake tracking numbers to win item non receipt of item claims.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

gchasapis
Contributor
Contributor
Thank you for the advice. However this doesn't answer PayPal's lack of protection to its customers. Advice is good to have until you become the actual victim and this is when you need the so called buyer protection by PayPal. People expect PayPal to act and actually protect when there is proof of fraud, not just advise.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@gchasapis 

You do have protection, as per paypals buyer protection policy, you get a full refund on returning the item back to the seller.

If you didn't check seller location before purchasing ie online reviews or clicking on their website information bottom of page then sadly that is not paypals responsibility.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

RayleenT
New Community Member

They said shipping from united states. Then told me they relocated to china

Login to Me Too

gchasapis
Contributor
Contributor

Allow me to repeat:

I did check their website and seemed legit. The address on the site was Dutch. The reviews appeared with Dutch names. It all seemed fine.

However, they are doing dropshipping on a non-legal basis.

Of course PayPal cannot protect you from dropshipping. But when it is done unlawfully, I would expect it does protect its users. The user is impossible to identify scammers / criminals.

Am I wrong expecting PayPal to protect its users from scammers / criminals?

Login to Me Too

RayleenT
New Community Member

Can they not protect us from this?

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.