PayPal is apparently refusing to receive documentation over fraudulent sale within 180-day limit

kurtster69
Contributor
Contributor

Last week I lodged a dispute over the purchase 4 months ago of a "new" iPhone that I later discovered through Apple had been previously repaired. (The phone has a hardware problem and randomly shuts off. The serial number proves it was previously repaired, and should in fact be in Apple's possession.)

A few days later, I received a mail from the Resolution Center saying they needed additional information within 3 days, otherwise the case would be closed. I sent several jpegs and documents as well as a detailed reply before the 3-day limit. After clicking the "send" button, I recall seeing a confirmation message of some kind.

Yesterday, I was surprised to receive a mail from the Resolution Center saying my case was closed because "we did not receive a response from you with supporting details for the case." I soon after contacted a customer support agent over the chat, and asked if the case could be reopened in order to re-send the documents. If not, I asked if I could restart the process.

The agent said she would forward my inquiry to "our Higher Department."

A few hours later, I received a message from "K" saying the following:

"I see that the case was closed in favor of the seller as you have not provided the additional information within the given timeframe. I am sorry for the trouble caused.

Nothing to worry, personally I do have an alternate option for you. You can contact your financial institution and file a dispute with them. They will send us some instructions once dispute is filed, so we will work with your financials to help you get the refund."

This response is very strange. Notice how "K" only mentions that the information wasn't received within the timeframe, without acknowledging that I my claim that I did in fact send the requested information. Neither does "K" even suggest the possibility of resubmission.

Is PayPal saying that they simply refuse to receive the additional information from me? If so, the claimed 180-day buyer protection is a joke.

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kurtster69
Contributor
Contributor

Just a quick update to say that PayPal have fortunately decided to reopen my case. 

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.