PayPal demanding Social Security Number

centexan
Contributor
Contributor

I cannot process an eBay refund because PayPal is asking for my Social Security number. I don't give that out. How do I get past that screen that demands the number and process the refund?

I sell maybe 20 small items per year on eBay, very little money from it.

Login to Me Too
57 REPLIES 57

BlueBunny
Contributor
Contributor
I believe that just like there are different versions of eBay (US, CAN, UK...) the same exists for PayPal. So basically, you're supposed to use the version for your home country. Hope this helped!
Login to Me Too

Morgan22
Contributor
Contributor

Not just the Social Security, but utility bill and drivers license. What happens when they can't protect your data. They say oops, You lose everything rebuilding your credit

Login to Me Too

MontyDon
Contributor
Contributor

Data breaches are the number one concern. Since PayPal outsources their call centers to Non-US territories that information can easily be breached. I always find that amusing when I get a call center representative that is in the Philippines. That's another soap box story for another day.

As far as the original topic goes recently ran into this myself with PayPals current deceptive business practices, from my perspective, after approximately three years of being a "customer" with their service and barely utilizing it. Apparently their third party system can't identify me. Eventually they changed their tune from the last four to the entire SSN. Makes me question the validity of their business practices and their services. In other words they are doing unsafe practices which contradicts their "motto".

The law is quite clear that if they can't prove that they are directly a banking institution, which they never willingly or easily provide because they aren't, PayPal goes on the list of ID Theft criminals. Assuming you are a citizen of the US, you may call Social Security at 1 (877) IDTHEFT and report them.

To prove they are a banking institution submit to them a W-9 requiring them to give their TIN and related information, and look up on the Secretary of State for California and Delaware. If PayPal refuses to remit the form to you then you turn them into the IRS for tax fraud. It's quite simple to do for any business. They are required by law to remit it to you or penalties ensue.

PayPal is also required to give specific U.S.C. reference when they claim "It's Federal law". If they do not they are again in breach of Federal Code and you are not required to give it under any circumstances. I would always suggest this in Certified Registered US Mail and not a web link. Web web documents are routinely fluid and can be easily manipulated by any entity to feed the Corporate greed.

If PayPal does not provide the appropriate refund in a reasonable amount of time PayPal, is in fact, money laundering.

Spend some quality time looking up the legal information, visiting your local DOJ, SS office, and of course never give them information without full written signed disclosure, legal documents, and reporting entities when they breach even on a phone call to them. PayPal has a history of not complying with Federal Mandates which is why, as a US Citizen, I will limit my usage of the PayPal system. No Terms of Use or Terms of Service may contradict Federal Code including the Privacy Act, Executive Orders, and other applicable law. However they'll attempt to make you think they can. If they fail to report these requests on demand then report them to the Federal Trade Commission. The more complaints against an entity the more likely they are going to be investigated for fraud as well as applicable felonies.

Just a few tidbits working as an Advocate and in the Criminal Justice system. Do the research for that information yourself and always verify, verify, verify when someone asks you for a SSN. Don't take my word for it and definitely spend more time on quality sites not volunteer based forums. Get involved with real agencies instead of pseudo-want-to-be agencies. Attempt to milk whatever information out of you will always be in the Corporate handbook so it can be sold, stamped on a lunch box, etc. The word is unscrupulous I believe that I'm looking for.

Login to Me Too

cmbrian
New Community Member

This is a recent issue for me, I have had the account for many years. The account has a balance in it which I can now not access without providing my SIN. So PayPal now inherits my money? Surely that is fraud?

Login to Me Too

WN37

I just want to say, I have been using PayPal for the last two years to send friends money I owe them, like if we split hotel rooms or someone pays for a camping site several of us use.  I have never given them my SS # so why do they all of a sudden require both my birth date and SS#?! There are plenty of other apps such as CashApp which do a similar service and do not require a SS#. It seems shady. I luckily do not have any money sitting on PayPal, so I will just use another method. Sad that after using PayPal for years, I'll have to move on. 

Login to Me Too

pdxing
New Community Member

I've used PayPal for the past 9 years and I too just received a request to "confirm my identity". I can tell you I will delete my account rather than send them my private information such as birthdate and social security number. They don't need that information to process a transaction or refund through my credit card they have on file. If PayPal were to get hacked, they get my credit card info which is protected by the credit card company. If they get personal info like a social security number and birthday then I could have a real mess. If it can happen to one of the big 3 credit bureaus (Equifax), it can happen to PayPal. And I certainly don't like anyone having access to that kind of information just to "confirm my identity".

Login to Me Too

odataway
Contributor
Contributor

Same problem here ... LONG time user of PP and all of a sudden they want my SS number. According to PP you have to exceed BOTH, $20,000 in sales AND 200 or more transactions ... I have done neither, yet they are holding $62 hostage. Perhaps they should have told me about this SS requirement BEFORE I got the 62$ payment ... not AFTER. 

PP has to realize that every government agency out there is advising people NOT to give out their SS number. I might understand if they ask for it AFTER you exceed their two limits, not before.

PP has proven a itself a business that is very hard to deal with should any dispute arise ... I can only imagine how unhelpful they would be if they have a breach and lose our data. 

Trying to decide now whether to totally stop using PP. 95% of the time I use it for payments ... which I can easily shift to a CC. 

Login to Me Too

DarthShwig

i spoke with a representative today on chat and they stated its federal law and i asked them to link me the specific subsection(s) stating they require a PHOTO of my ss card and ID when im not a seller and no other credit card companies require this. after asking for it several times they came up with the patriot act but still couldnt provide subsections or adequate proof i need to provide said documents. i told them straight up paypal could be held liable for fraud and attempted identity theft under the Privacy Act of !974. it states "The right to be protected against unwarranted invasion of their privacy resulting from the collection, maintenance, use, or disclosure of their personal information." the only time paypal would need to collect your info is if you are a seller who does 20K+ in sales a year here or 200 items a year and thats for tax purposes. paypal is stupid if they think im gonna give up PHOTOS of my SS and ID cards.

Login to Me Too

PayPal_Rich

Thanks for reaching out to the PayPal Community Forums with this concern. From what is being described here, it sounds like PayPal is asking for you to complete the Customer Identification Program to hold a PayPal balance. You may be able to withdraw funds by adding a bank account instead. Here is more information about why a customer must complete CIP to hold or use a PayPal balance to fund payments. 

• As a result of a new regulation issued by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau in Washington, D.C. coming into effect on April 1, 2019, we are making some changes that will affect consumers who want to hold and use balance with PayPal.
    If you want to hold and use balance, you will need a balance account which will be linked to your current PayPal account. PayPal will offer two balance accounts: PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus. Information about both types of balance accounts can be found in the PayPal Cash and PayPal Cash Plus Terms and Conditions.
    If you are an existing personal PayPal account holder and we have already verified your identity, we will establish and automatically link a PayPal Cash Plus account to your current PayPal account. Information about your PayPal Cash Plus account, including your balance amount, will be easily available using your existing PayPal login.
    For all other consumer PayPal account holders, if you want to hold and use balance, in addition to verifying your identity with PayPal, you will need set up a balance account which will be linked to your current PayPal account. 
    There are no changes to any PayPal fees.

Here is a link for reference: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/archive-policies-full?locale.x=en_US. 

- PayPal_Rich

As you slide down the banister of life, may the splinters always point in the right direction.
- Irish Proverb
Login to Me Too

JulieBham
Contributor
Contributor
I figured this out. You have the option to transfer the money directly to your bank account. If you choose the “free” option it takes a couple of days. No social security number needed and all that other mess PayPal was requesting.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.