PayPal declines an unauthorized transaction claim

clovinyk
New Community Member

Yesterday while I was at home, I got a message from PayPal saying I made a transaction of $59.99 to someone I never know. This money was directly pulled from my checking account linked in PayPal. I didn't authorize anything.

Then I immediately filed an unauthorized activity case (PP-I-17286136) with PayPal. After 4 hours, I received an email from PayPal saying: "We've completed our review of your unauthorized activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorized use."

This is insane. I've been using PayPal for over 10 years and never had any money transaction with this person. And what's surprising is, PayPal can directly bypass me and withdraw money from my checking account!

I highly suggest de-link all your bank accounts from PayPal. No one knows when PayPal can decide to pull money from your bank and tell you "there was no unauthorized use".

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

M8jin
Contributor
Contributor
I'm having the same issues right now , today around 5 pm , $59.99 was sent to someone I dont know , I 100% did not send this money. This issue is very stressful . I changed my password as the 1st step , and sent a report , I hope this issues gets resolved or I'm canceling my paypal account soon.
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@clovinyk 

Paypal does not cover you for all unauthorised transactions, especially if its an error on your side/computer that led to being hacked etc.

Your best bet is to read the user agreement for your country > unauthorised payments to see if you were covered or not.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Nuggins
New Community Member

Someone used my card to buy watches in some foreign country at 4:32AM EST (I was sleeping) and PayPal is saying it was me... Amazing. The website customer service also won't answer me... Guess I'm going to my bank on Friday.

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.