PAYPAL *TOTALAV" unauthorised payment

suepearson430
Contributor
Contributor

Hi I have had £118.80 taken from my bank account showing PAYPAL *TOTALAV" I have no idea what this is, I did not ask for this transaction and when reporting to paypal just got a reply that 

We've completed our review of your unauthorised activity case, and we’ve determined there was no unauthorised use

I dont know what totalav is, How can it be removed from my bank account without my knowledge or permission?

When I spoke to my bank, they said that there have been a lot of reports about the same matter and transported me to a dedicated phone live for this very thing that paypal has set up. 

I dont understand why if paypal are investigating these transactions I would get this very uninformative reply, with paypal basically washing their hands about this charge on my account. 

Has anybody else had any dealings with this type of payment, or can explain to me how and why this has happened please.

Many thanks.

Login to Me Too
23 REPLIES 23
Solved

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@BD-84 

Check if you had a subscription set up.
Click on the profile tab (icon next to log out) > Click on payments third option along on the thick blue band top of page > "manage pre-approved payments.''

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

spinelli109
Contributor
Contributor
I did that 2 years ago. Click the cancel button everything and they're continued to do it sliding on whatever card I had placed on there
Login to Me Too

raywhite63
New Community Member

I was caught by this companies bad business practices.

I paid £3 via Google Play Store for this Android AntiVirus 17.01.21

I installed it on my old mobile phone only to be charged another £48 to make it function.

It was a poor AntiVirus and I uninstalled it.

Now January 2022 they have taken £118 by Paypal recurring charge, that I knew nothing about,

and did not warn me or issue any invoice before just taking the money.

I have cancelled the Paypal recurring billing, I did not know I had.

I am trying to get a refund for £118 for software I dont and would not use via [removed]

I have emailed them and am hoping for a reply.

There are numerous complaints on the internet about this company and their rouge practices.

TotalAV offers 2nd rate AV protection and their Business practices are no better than a Scam

with unauthorised Billing being taken from customers.

Login to Me Too

Brznwench
Contributor
Contributor

I am dealing with this now. After successfully canceling this subscription with them last year, Suddenly a new charge appeared. I had failed to stop authorization on my PayPal account and TotalAV took it upon themselves to restart my subscription with a $19 welcome back?

Login to Me Too

Robsk2021
Contributor
Contributor
Hi, Seems like it’s their standard practice now. Just reach out to them on their chat and tell them you do not want this service and you’re requesting a full refund. They’ll try to persuade you to keep the subscription for lower price, they’ll keep on proposing lower and lower service charge, I think I have agreed on the one-off payment of £3 to cover the whole year and cancelled renewal anyway, although you are entitled to the full refund regardless. Good luck Bud! Ps. Don’t bother with emails just go straight on live chat!
Login to Me Too

Temp20220411b
New Community Member
I had the £118.80 taken out. I missed the email and only noticed it in my PayPal account. I looked back and found the email and it was on the day the payment was taken. To be fair the live chat was really efficient and despite keep trying to offer better and better deals (80% refund, 5 licences, vpn and ad blocked) they eventually emailed a link to cancel and get full refund which was back in my account the next day. They’re just hoping people don’t notice the payment going out. They’re a bit crafty and opportunistic, but do give your money back without too much fuss.
Login to Me Too

catlady7
I didn't even receive a warning on my email. I've haven't even downloaded loaded the app.
Login to Me Too

hermit99

Do some research First before you download anything.

"A fool and his money are soon parted."   King James version of ...

Login to Me Too

spinelli109
Contributor
Contributor
I am currently having the same problem and PayPal is saying I authorize it when I know I did not and I don't even have any service of that kind on my computer's phone etc. And PayPal is refusing to do anything about it. That's why I use them is for the security. I buy lots of things through them but as of today I am canceling PayPal. I will not use it. I'll just rely on my credit card services from now on
Login to Me Too

catlady7
The same thing happened to me on 9/25/22. PayPal won't do anything. Neither will TotalAV. I'm going to BBB and to my bank. I still have my emails from last year from this company trying to cancel.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.