Ownership of item

Siz3
Contributor
Contributor

Hello ,

I am going to purchase an item over in America and get it shipped to Australia. The seller doesn't have PayPal but says his friend does and wants payment made to him.

If the item doesn't turn up can I still get a refund back from the person I payed via PayPal if he disputes and says he never owned the item ?

Thanks

Darren

Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

PayPal_Sean

Hello @Siz3, thank you for posting,

PayPal Buyer Protection applies to physical goods that can be shipped and tracked as well as intangible and virtual items, digital goods and services.  You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre if you didn't receive an item you ordered or the item you ordered arrives and is significantly different from how it was originally described. This dispute must be opened within the timeframe noted on the transaction details.

After opening a dispute, you communicate with the seller in the Resolution Centre to try to resolve the problem. If you can't come to an amicable resolution you can ask us to investigate by escalating your dispute to a claim. We'll review the case and decide if you're eligible for a refund. If we decide the claim in your favor, we'll reimburse you for the full purchase price of the item and original shipping costs.

To be eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:

• Have a PayPal account in good standing.
  • Pay for the eligible item from your PayPal account.
  • You must respond to PayPal's request for documentation and other information in a timely manner.  If you don't respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in the time requested, your PayPal Buyer Protection claim may be decided against you.
  • You must open a dispute within 180 days of the date you sent the payment, and then follow the online dispute resolution process.
  • You haven't received a recovery related to such a purchase from another source.

To learn more about PayPal Buyer Protection and to see a full list of eligibility requirements and exclusions, please click Security at the bottom of any PayPal page.

I hope this helps,

- Sean

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
2 REPLIES 2

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Siz3 

Yes, if you send payment as goods and services, you can dispute payment back for item not received or significantly not as described. The recipient cannot PayPal dispute. The sender can. If the ‘friend’ don’t have item, then it stands to reason for them to refund the money. And any problem would be between the seller and his friend.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too
Solved

PayPal_Sean

Hello @Siz3, thank you for posting,

PayPal Buyer Protection applies to physical goods that can be shipped and tracked as well as intangible and virtual items, digital goods and services.  You can open a dispute in the Resolution Centre if you didn't receive an item you ordered or the item you ordered arrives and is significantly different from how it was originally described. This dispute must be opened within the timeframe noted on the transaction details.

After opening a dispute, you communicate with the seller in the Resolution Centre to try to resolve the problem. If you can't come to an amicable resolution you can ask us to investigate by escalating your dispute to a claim. We'll review the case and decide if you're eligible for a refund. If we decide the claim in your favor, we'll reimburse you for the full purchase price of the item and original shipping costs.

To be eligible for PayPal Buyer Protection you must meet all of the following requirements:

• Have a PayPal account in good standing.
  • Pay for the eligible item from your PayPal account.
  • You must respond to PayPal's request for documentation and other information in a timely manner.  If you don't respond to PayPal’s request for documentation and other information in the time requested, your PayPal Buyer Protection claim may be decided against you.
  • You must open a dispute within 180 days of the date you sent the payment, and then follow the online dispute resolution process.
  • You haven't received a recovery related to such a purchase from another source.

To learn more about PayPal Buyer Protection and to see a full list of eligibility requirements and exclusions, please click Security at the bottom of any PayPal page.

I hope this helps,

- Sean

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.