Online course scam

Malafrei111
Contributor
Contributor

Hi community 19. Nov. 2021 I bought an online course from my computer. I had a seller on the phone who guided me. As soon as I hung up the phone I realized it was a scam. I wrote the seller and customer service, and in writing “I regretted my purchase” and I want to cancel. (No cancellation link, no order confirmation, just contact information on the webpage) 21. November I called the seller, and he told me I cannot cancel the purchase. 22. November I was suppose to start the course. But I was not being “invited” to the “onboard” call. I never started the course. A Financial company (who takes care of the payments from all the customers) are now claiming the money for the course. I wrote them and explained the situation. They asked me to contact Vendor (seller) to reach out for a solution. The Financial company cannot by them selves cancel anything. I never got an answer from the company from who I was suppose to start the course. No answer at all…. I went to the police a filed a report for fraud/scam. I also have a lawyer. The lawyer wrote the company and then a respond came !!!! - they responded: “that I was not a client, that they did not know who I was…” ??? The financial company keeps trying to make me pay for this online course. Even though the owner from the course refused that I was “a client of his”. I payed with PayPal. But before the payment was being drawn from my account, I removed the money. The financial company did not get the payment. But PayPal and the Financial company tries and tries to make me pay. It’s now a police case. What happens if PayPal closes the case ? What do I do ?

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@Malafrei111 

Sounds like PayPal paid the seller for you and PayPal waited for the money to clear your bank to get paid back but you removed your money so now you owe PayPal. So now PayPal wants you to pay. They think you the scammer.

You were not supposed to remove the money from your bank and if the purchase was a scam after the money cleared your bank, you turn right around and open a dispute (that is what a dispute is for) to get your money back. What will happen depends if PayPal will rule in your favor or not. If PayPal believe you did not receive the online course, you won’t have a negative balance. PayPal can take back their money from the seller.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

Malafrei111
Contributor
Contributor
Very nice explained answer thank you. I did not know it worked like this with the “dispute”. How do I inform PayPal about this ?
Login to Me Too

CB1121
Contributor
Contributor

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.