On-line scam and Paypal is requesting an internal USPS document that it is impossible for me to get.

pharpe
Contributor
Contributor

I was involved in an online scam where my paypal account was charged but I received no receipt from the vendor and they provided a fake tracking number.  I reported all of the details and provided copies of my emails to the vendor.  

I on 12/2 I attempted to purchased a computer monitor from an online site and paid using Paypal. After submitting the transaction I never received confirmation or a receipt. I did get an email from Paypal that my account was charged. I submitted a request for a receipt via the website customer service link explaining the issue and asked for a confirmation and receipt for the order. I did not get any reply and sent additional emails to the contact email on the Paypal receipt and got no answers.  On 12/4/2019 there was an update on paypal with a tracking number. USPS tracking only shows the city and zip of the destination but not the full address.   I tracked the package, and when it was supposedly delivered, nothing actually arrived.  I have video evidence there was no delivery.

I contacted the post office and found out that the tracking number was spoofed. It was an real tracking number but for an unrelated package that was going to the same city and zip but not my address.   It was from Albany NY and sent to a comply different name and address. It was also only 1 ounce. (Mine was supposed to be a 27" monitor). 

At this point I filed a claim with paypal with all this info.  Paypal closed the case the next day without even talking to me or the seller.  They just said the item was delivered based on the fake tracking number.  I called and spoke to an Paypal agent and explained all of the detail again.  She said I needed to get an Intranet for from the USPS showing the details of the tracking number and upload that.  When I called USPS I was told that the Intranet for is an internal only document and they do not provide that to the public.

So in a case of clear documented fraud Paypal if requiring a document that it is impossible for me to obtain?  What do I do at this point?

Login to Me Too
120 REPLIES 120

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@pharpe 

Go to your local post office (in person) and file mail fraud report and demand nicely an Intranet Report to give to the authorities. Also file a police and ic3.gov report. You have to be persistent.

What documentation can USPS give you that is official so you can take to the authorities, ask them that. You can call up the US Postal Inspector to file a mail fraud report. Some persuasive victims have been able to get this Intranet Report, that's why PayPal asked for it.

If PayPal won't help then you can dispute with the credit card company if that is how you paid and give the information to them.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂
Login to Me Too

pharpe
Contributor
Contributor

I did try the Postal Inspector but they wouldn't give me the Intranet Form.  I also filed a case with them.  I'll try the local post office next.  Thanks.

Login to Me Too

Deb_57
Same thing happened to me. I ordered two lounger chairs for my pool area and at some point I received a little package with a ring inside. I contacted PayPal and they asked me to contact you PS. So I called UPS and gave them the tracking number, they told me that the tracking number is not their tracking number and to try calling PayPal back. So I called PayPal back and they told me to call USPS. So I’ve been going back-and-forth with the postal service that delivers to our area and they continue to tell me there is no Internet form that they could give me that what I could do is log onto US PS.com and put in the tracking number and give that information to PayPal. Some point I was told why can’t they just log onto USPS and see that for themselves. I thought that was a good question. I continue my thread message with PayPal and nothing has been done yet they continue to tell me to get an Internet form or to get information saying that it was delivered. What they don’t understand is that I ordered lounger chairs that do not fit into a little package that they could put into my mailbox… I just recently resent the tracking information to them to let them know it was delivered to the mailbox and again that I ordered lounger chairs that are not gonna fit into my mailbox.
Login to Me Too

Regtoyou
Same thing for me. Except it’s a large cat tower. And my delivery says 1 Oz. Now the postal svc is asking me to get an intranet form knowing we can’t get one. This is bad. Something needs to be filed.
Login to Me Too

SharisseDiaz
Contributor
Contributor
Don’t waste your time with PayPal or the post office. Call your credit card company/bank and dispute the charge with them. Capital One fixed it for me in like 10-15 minutes vs the weeks I spent between PayPal and the post office getting nowhere.
Login to Me Too

grandmacathiede
Contributor
Contributor
Same for me. Mine product was sandals supposedly shipped from China. Seller provided fake tracking number. Filed PayPal claim They want Intra Net form that you cannot find. Local USPS no help gave phone number that goes to voicemail. Frustrated
Login to Me Too

Deb_57
I guess I will run to the local post office as well to see what I can get in person for documentation. Or the so-called intro that form that PayPal is requesting
Login to Me Too

Taz85
I’ve had same issue and there’s no such thing as intranet form .I don’t understand why PayPal can’t see it as a scam with a item waiting lighter than piece of paper.any tracking ending with CN is a blatant scam and we won’t get our money back from pay pl dispite having eligible protection.PayPal want a form that does not exist,this is ridiculous.
Login to Me Too

99bucks
Contributor
Contributor
A loophole for the scammer and PayPal knows and defends them. So basically you can say your selling a 1oz gold piece for $500.00 but you ship a toenail clipper instead to some bogus add. And get away with it ? PayPal dgaf
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.