Mystery payment received, sent immediate refund, worry?

MarkinVA
New Community Member
Hello everyone thanks in advance for your help here, I received a mysterious $150 payment earlier, I promptly refunded the transaction after attempts to contact the user went unanswered. The only information was their name, there was not an email or address or any other identifying information. I now fear that there's somehow going to fish or scam me out of my money I want to know how I can go about protecting myself or if I need to worry since I refunded the money. What steps can I use to protect myself here?
Login to Me Too
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MarkinVA 

As long as you refunded the money properly, from within the original transaction, clicking the “Refund this payment” button/link, then it’s fine. If you sent a separate payment, the original transaction can later be disputed as unauthorized activity if the money came from a stolen bank account or card.

Kudos & Solved are greatly appreciated. 🙂

View solution in original post

Login to Me Too
3 REPLIES 3
Solved

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MarkinVA 

As long as you refunded the money properly, from within the original transaction, clicking the “Refund this payment” button/link, then it’s fine. If you sent a separate payment, the original transaction can later be disputed as unauthorized activity if the money came from a stolen bank account or card.

Login to Me Too

MarkinVA
New Community Member
Awesome, thank you, that's how I did it, through the transaction.
Login to Me Too

sharpiemarker
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@MarkinVA wrote:
Awesome, thank you, that's how I did it, through the transaction.

Then, it’s all good. 😊

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.