My account was limited for selling something bad—but I don’t have a business account

Uroshnor
New Community Member

I have been on PayPal since they were still new with no problems at all since. Then two years ago or so I got a message saying that my account was being suspended due to some kind of unauthorized sale. But I  don’t have a seller’s account, just a personal one. I’ve never sold anything through PayPal, just bought things. When it happened I called up support and they apologized, said they could see it shouldn’t have been limited and would forward the case to the proper people and they would call me or email me. They didn’t. Called back a few weeks later and exactly the same thing happened. Said they’d contact me but nothing. Some time later, a couple of months I think, I decided to try again. After waiting quite a while on hold I got cut off so I gave up. I had a credit card and debit card so I didn’t really need PayPal, I’d just like to have it available.

Then a few months ago, another twist to the story. I got a message from PayPal UK addressed to someone with my first name but a different last name. That one said something about invalid information. My guess there is someone accidentally used my email to try and create an account.

That was where it stood until recently. I’ve just started a new business and would like to actually sell things through PayPal now. But I can’t seem to find any way to send support a message if you’re account is limited other than the direct phone line. I’ve been holding for 56 minutes of an estimated 2 hour and 10 minute wait. If there is one I’d appreciate it if someone would point me in the right direction.

I suspect that the simple answer is just to create a new business account and close the old one, but I don’t want the invalid accusations of inappropriate sales to carry over somehow. I’d appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

Login to Me Too
5 REPLIES 5

Ashwani3
PayPal Employee
PayPal Employee

Hi @Uroshnor 

Welcome to the community forum and thanks for posting. 

Looks like you need help with limitations. 
I comprehend your concern about your account being restricted. For more information on how limitation works, click here

If you face any issues, you can contact us through the following link 

I hope this helps.

Thanks,
Ashwani.

Login to Me Too

Uroshnor23
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your reply, I didn’t expect an official response.

However, you didn’t actually give me any new information. The options you mention are what I’ve already tried. You don’t offer any alternative to a multi-hour wait on hold for telephone support.

—HC

Login to Me Too

Uroshnor23
Contributor
Contributor

Called up again and this time it offered me the choice of a call back rather than waiting on hold. It hadn’t offered that before, definitely better than waiting on hold!

Thanks,

—HC

Login to Me Too

Uroshnor23
Contributor
Contributor
Ashwani: I explained the circumstances to the nice lady from support who called me back, but she said they couldn’t do anything about my frozen account and couldn’t even tell me why it happened. I told her that the account itself wasn’t important, but if I created a new business account I didn’t want a completely bogus accusation to carry over and create problems there. She said I could try to open an account for my business since it would have a different name, a different email, and a different credit card, but she didn’t know if it would be a problem. Well, it is a problem, since I did try to create a business account with a different address, email address and credit card but the new account also said it was permanently disabled since my legal name was the same, I suspect. I don’t know what else to do since this is ENTIRELY PayPal’s fault—they obviously confused my account with someone else’s originally and now they refuse to fix it, or even just allow me to start over. I want to offer PayPal as an option for my customers and this is extremely frustrating. Just to make the point clear: I am being falsely accused of an illegal sale when I have never sold ANYTHING on PayPal! Seething, —MLJ
Login to Me Too

Uroshnor23
Contributor
Contributor
Note that I’m posting that last reply and this one from a different forum account—it wouldn’t let me log in to the Uroshnor account, it only offered to open a new one. Perhaps because the account is locked?
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.