Money on hold for 180 days !!!!!

asimch
Contributor
Contributor

Hi, I did nothing wrong except that we combined all of our life savings and kept it in paypal as the currency in my country is falling every day, due to uncertain situations we trusted paypal and they limited my account even though I provided each and every document that they asked for. Now it says I permanently cannot use the account and that our money is on hold for 180 days. What if i die before 180 days ????? This is scary we regret our decision of trusting Paypal. Please help

Login to Me Too
6 REPLIES 6

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@asimch 

Most common reasons for an account limitation are:-

1. You have a previously limited account (temporary or permanent) and you have tried to open a new account and not resolved the issues with the other account first.
2. Using a VPN.
3. Not being in the country where you have opened a Paypal account.
4. Being under 18 / minor account.
5. Having 2 Paypal accounts or more of the same account type.
6. Not having your legal name on your Paypal account.
7. Selling items (often virtual or digital) that Paypal consider a high risk of disputes/chargebacks OR items that violate their acceptable use policy.
8. Using the friends/family option for sales transactions to try and evade Paypal fees and risk of disputes.
9. Violating their acceptable use policy as per link.

https://www.paypal.com/us/legalhub/acceptableuse-full?locale.x=en_US

However there are other reasons if yours did not fit one of those, as I can't list all of them. 

If you have been told your Paypal account has been permanently limited then Paypal tends to hold any funds for 180 days. This is the same time frame that buyers have to open Paypal disputes.

If no disputes are opened in 180 days then normally you are allowed to withdraw the funds. That is as long as you are over 18, account is in your legal name and the account is registered in the country where you reside.

Sometimes they confiscate funds under this policy.
https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full?locale.x=en_US#actions

Paypal also may request further documentation from you before you can withdraw those funds.

Contact options for Paypal are accessed by clicking help/contact bottom left of Paypal pages...

1. Paypal phones (you can use the guest option if you can't log in).
2. Live chat is also randomly available.
3. You can send them a message, during business hours you may also be able to message whilst logged out.
Or
4. Have you considered contacting Customer Service via Facebook or Twitter?
You can send them a personal message from their Facebook or Twitter pages.
It's: https://www.facebook.com/PayPal and @AskPayPal for Twitter.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

asimch
Contributor
Contributor

Hi yes I opened an account while in Dubai and I later moved to Belgium. I didn’t know this can cause an issue with the address verification or paypal account. I did not know it was not allowed to use the same paypal account after changing the country. They kept asking for the proof of address and I kept uploading my address of other country. ( As i did not know it was not allowed) they permanently limited my account with a hold of 180 days, but I did not do any transactions in the past 180 days that means there should be no risk of any changeback or claims to paypal. Is there a way to resolve this? I cannot chat unless logged in, if I log in the chat option disappears. If I send an email no one responds. 

Login to Me Too

Temp20230829u
Contributor
Contributor
Thats bull, thats just a way for them to hold your money and make use of it by letting another user use it on paypal credit, it is as easy as sending the other person to confirm the transaction
Login to Me Too

Mimi014
New Community Member

My money has been on hold since May 12, 2023.

I need to pay rent on 06/01/23 and paypal will not release the money.

No explanation whatsoever on what the problem is, except that they have technical issues.

Can paypal legally do this?

anyone knows?

Login to Me Too

RomarkGamay19
New Community Member
How can I withdraw now if my money is on hold for 180 days?
Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@RomarkGamay19 

Read my above post.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.