Marry <removed> fraudulent sales (a question)

earthshoes
Contributor
Contributor

Question First--If I contact my bank while the charge is still pending do I stand a better chance of stopping a fraudulent company from taking my money? That way there's little danger of them shipping (IF they were to do so). It is not a pending charge on Paypal and it never was or I'd have canceled it here. 

I ordered an air fryer from Marry <removed> by way of a FB ad yesterday. I am typically pretty careful about these things--look up the company, check to see if they're shipping from the US, etc. This time I was sloppier than usual. I didn't realize just how sloppy until I went back to the ad on FB and notices three or four other customers asking if they were a "real" company.  I posted that I had placed an order for the item by way of Paypal and that I would report back when/if I received the item.  I noticed that the payment went to a paypal account that listed a person's name with an "inc"after it. That bothered me a bit. 

A little while later, I noticed that both my post and that of the customers asking about the legitimacy of the company was real were all removed. And I've been blocked from making further comments. When I checked back throughout the day, any post that questioned the company's origins vanished not long after it was posted.  The only posts they've allowed to stay on the page are those of people who are talking about how they bought the product elsewhere for a whole lot more money and that the product was wonderful, etc.  

One of my tech savvy adult sons asked to see the link to the company's website. He did a bit of sleuthing and determined that it's a part of a network of websites that were put together by someone who doesn't speak English very well (I TAUGHT HIM how to do this and he caught it and I didn't...). And he also did a little more poking around and discovered that they are known for not shipping at least most of the products they claim to have.  

I have reported them here and on FB. 

Login to Me Too
24 REPLIES 24

katecp
Contributor
Contributor

I have the exact same problem and come in here to dispute the charge with PayPal. Let me know how it goes with you. Thanks.

Login to Me Too

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@katecp 

@earthshoes 

Chinese Web Sites or on Social Media ads easy to spot (once you know the below signs) so buyer beware.

1. No return address on the returns policy............thats because the site will look as if its in your country (where they despatch goods from) BUT they will ask for returns to go back to China (returns depot) at a shipping cost nearly always more than the item is worth.
2. No contact telephone number............if you click on contact the most you will get is webmail or an email address.
3. No company address information.
4. Great looking items at bargain prices that turn out to be tat.

@earthshoes 

Paypal have credited the seller upfront for you and paypal wait for the funds to transfer from your bank account to reimburse them (if the payment is showing as completed). So if you stop it with your bank paypal will put your account into negative and limit it until you pay them back again.

Best to use the dispute process for 'item not received' or 'item received but not as described'.

If you need more info then post back.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

earthshoes
Contributor
Contributor

There was a phone number (that goes to a voice mail. No one returns calls).  
Text messages go unanswered.
There is a US return address and a return policy
And two email addresses (both bounce back). 

This was a fairly well set up scam. But I should have done my due diligence. 

Login to Me Too

mollybeelegacy2
Contributor
Contributor

I also bought this off of facebook thru my PayPal acct. Yesterday.  The site said if purchased on Saturday or Sunday they would mail out on Monday. When i have been looking today to hear from them and did not. I started to check on them. The payment went to watsicasheLby64 . I couldnt understand that because the site that posted it is Marry Lucky-A. I just saw this advertised on facebook again. I have tried to connect with both names and have had no luck. I hope we can get this resolved. 

Login to Me Too

katecp
Contributor
Contributor

Updated: Paypal as a champion they are, refunded me today. In the process, Paypal said to wait to get to hear the response from the seller. Be a scammer as Telly <removed> Inc (Marry <removed>) they are, never contacted me. Good ending when you use Paypal for your payment. For those who filed the dispute, you'll get your money back.

Login to Me Too

JD1026
Contributor
Contributor

I have ordered one as well and was feeling weird about how the whole thing , so I googled the question...is it real, and arrived here with your situation being same as mine. Not sure what steps I should take. I've never used paypal before until this week?!

Login to Me Too

earthshoes
Contributor
Contributor

I am sorry this happened to you too. I suspect there will be hundreds of us, if not more. This scammer is a real piece of work. 

Go to the charge on your activity column. Click on it. That will take you to the page that will show you all the details of the sale. Look towards the bottom for the phrase "report a problem." Click on that and follow the bouncing balls from there. It should show you the "I didn't receive the item" as an option. Use that. 

I take it as a good sign that they are taking longer to investigate my second appeal on this. I've provided them with more information this time. But if I don't get my money back, I won't be thrilled, but I'll understand. 

I also reached out to my bank and filed a dispute with them. They told me it could be six months or longer. 

Because I'm me and I don't do anything halfway (and because it made me feel a little better)--I also reported them to: 

Their server
The company whose umbrella they work under (Shopyy)
The FBI (Yes. Really. They have an internet fraud division). 
I'm also composing a letter to Zuckerberg. It is not his fault I fell for a scam. It is mine. I am generally better than this--a fairly cautious buyer. Wishful thinking got the better of me. But I think Facebook should do a better job of vetting the merchants that advertise on their pages. 

Login to Me Too

mdc120
Contributor
Contributor

Add me to the list of those who made the purchase of the air fryer.  I was a bit skeptic but I felt since they accepted Paypal I should be ok.  Now I am wondering if that's the case.  I hope you will all continue to share whatever you find out here.  I have contacted Paypal and am waiting along with the rest of you.  I will say the web site is pretty extensive and does appear legit.

Login to Me Too

Temp20200929a
Contributor
Contributor

it happen to me also I filed a complaint as well

Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.