Macbook Scam? Buyer claiming that item was not in same condition (how to win the claim)

chinomage
New Community Member

Hey all-

I sold a MacBook Pro to someone that felt a little scammy in the first place, but I did it anyway, NOT using friends and family. The laptop was in MINT condition, no damage at all.

Item was received within the shipping time. The buyer then comes back to me almost a month later and says that the item had damage and was scratched up. After verifying it was the same laptop via serial number, I could see that he had been using it and that there were fingerprints all over it from him.

He opened a claim and now Paypal looks to be deciding in favor of him, contingent upon him sending back the laptop. I feel like it was damaged from him in the first place.

I have photo proof that the laptop was in perfect condition when it left me. What can I do to win this claim?

Login to Me Too
1 REPLY 1

kernowlass
Esteemed Advisor
Esteemed Advisor

@chinomage 

In the event of an item received but not as described dispute it is always one persons word against anothers.

Paypal never see the item in question so they would take all information given including the time the buyer has had the item and make a judgement call.

If they find in favour of the buyer then the buyer would have to return the item normally first and at their own expense before getting a refund.

Advice is voluntary.
Kudos / Solution appreciated.
Login to Me Too

Haven't Found your Answer?

It happens. Hit the "Login to Ask the community" button to create a question for the PayPal community.